Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Troutbum11

Two-Tone Copper John Tutorial

Very informative. I don't tie many Copper Johns. Since I was tying them off of pictures and just improvising as I went also, I learned that to get that nice, neat looking back I need to tie in a bit of flash material rather than just applying it to the peacock herl. I want to tie up few to send to my niece for her birthday. Her and her husband are living in Porcupine, SD. I do have some two tone fine wire, copper and green and red and green from an IPod ear bud that might make a couple of interesting ones.

When I tie them two-tone I use one wire in medium and 1 in brassie. Not sure if you mentioned that as I watched your video with the sound off. Nice tutorial. I actually enjoy tying these copper johns quite a bit.

Nice looking nymph. Flytire ties one with two colors, but he twists the wires before wrapping it, so it gives a totally different look.

nice tie. i always tied two-tone wire flies with brassie size wire using two pieces for the predominant/body color and one other different colored piece of wire as the rib. i think it pops a little more. but seeing the medium size using one piece of each it looks just fine. i'll give it a try whenever i get back to tying

Thanks for the comments guys!

Tomcraw- that sounds like an interesting technique, I'll give it a try!

I did these a while back ... haven't caught anything on them, yet, except a few tiny bluegill.

I called them "Goldbutt Brassies".