Fly Tying

Got a great gift in the mail from a friend today.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to use this in a lifetime but I know some kids that will enjoy it with me.

-FlyTieDad

post-47783-0-31340300-1493857956_thumb.jpg

It's the best, in my opinion. I still have a tube I've had for many years. When they stopped making it I tried many others to find a replacement for when I ran out but nothing compared to it. I'm happy it's back in production again.

Congratulations on the great gift!

Joe

Maybe just to clarify in my own mind since this is not something I have ever had instruction on, but, isn't wax used for specific applications / reasons? I use a few types of wax in tying, one type is dryer and coats the thread so it bites together for a better wrap. Another is tacky and coats the thread giving dubbing something to stick to (though I could argue not using wax and twisting the fibers - different topic). And another to coat the thread so it doesn't absorb water. Im sure I can go on. I only view wax as a tool not something that will make me a better tyer.

On other threads about wax, "Wonder Wax" is always named as the best one. I guess there was an old formula, and a new one ... but either is still generally supported as the best kind.

I've also seen it reported that ONE of those sticks will likely last you a lifetime, unless you're tying commercially.

Nice gift you got, FlyTieDad !!!

Dubbing wax is something I rarely use anymore. I used to use it all the time . I will say that I think working the wax into rabbit dubbing not just helps it stick well while wrapping but also semi treats the fibers for water resistance. Depends how much is used of course. But I learned to dub without wax. I sometimes use wax on the thread when whip finishing dry flies, when I do I use no head cement. That is intentional. I also like wax for tying down bucktail in bucktail streamers, the fibers just seems to tuck in better with certain threads that want to pull the fibers off center. I see why McPhail uses it all the time.

I believe my wax is that same brand and it's decades old , I'll never use the stick up in this lifetime, no way...

Nice gift though anyway !

I disliked dubbing wax back when I initially began tying but I tried out BT's - Al & Gretchen Beatty- dubbing kit and the two wax sticks, small fly and larger fly stickiness, really work very nicely. I am happy with the dubbing selections and a beautiful hand-sewn, travel- kit done by Gretchen; will be needing these to teach some classes in June for a non-profit entity.

For many years Overton's Wonder Wax was the defacto standard when it came to dubbing wax - it seemed to have just the right "stickyness" and never seemed to dry out. Overton's is now once again available but there seems to be some debate as to the current offering being the same as the original. In the many years that Overton's was unavailable, the choice of many tyers (including Gary LaFontaine) was BT's dubbing waxes - which I understand Gary helped formulate with Al and Gretchen Beatty. This wax is available in two types; one sticky and the other super-sticky.

Stuff works great IMO , I've tried others , but this works the best for me I love it , the price difference is big , but the difference is noticeable