Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

Eastern Shore Skies.

We're surrounded by water here - you can't get more than five miles from it in any direction. Its reflections and the low sun's angle in the fall combine for some of the most spectacular skies I've ever seen. That, plus the waterfowl migration, keep me looking up most of the time during the season.

post-281-0-71308300-1494082017_thumb.jpg

Now, THAT'S a picture I like.

It's a pretty sight, the migratory birds in a colorful sky.

LMAO - I was thinking about you when I posted it! Mike, you're a hard nut to crack, but I knew I'd break through sooner or later. Seriously, this place is kind of a bottleneck on the Atlantic Flyway. We see all kinds of birds coming through in spring and fall. The hummingbirds and black skimmers arrived this week, so summer must be on its way.

Once I hit about age 43 or so (54 now) I see birds every time I look at the sky. Funny as you age you can't see what's right in front of you but all kinds of crap that isn't there. I got so many floaters it's like an albacore blitz but that isn't such a bad thing. Beautiful pic PJ.

I'm not that hard to please.

I like color and natural features.

No black and white.

Few abstracts without an object.

No man made objects.

Simple.

Thanks guys; I'm glad you like the pic. Hey John - I wish I were seeing albacore blitzes; all I get are amoebas and woodlice. I sure miss those little tuna.

I miss those Albies too. Last ones I caught were pre smart phone days. Still would like to stroll the beach at false cape some time but finding them that way is always a long shot. Wish this weather would shape up. Need to get out for some fishing before I get too cranky.

I've thought about strolling the beach down there too. I used to do it when we lived in Portsmouth. I've never seen albacore there, but I've never done it in season. Getting tuna from shore isn't the easiest kind of fishing there is, and from the beach is hardest of all. Damned things are so fast that they're impossible to chase down. About all you can do is try to find a pod of bait and stay with it. I once watched a small school of mullet clustered against the beach, while the albies kept making hit-and-run raids for the whole tide. I managed to nail one in two feet of water. It's amazing how they can detect prey from hundreds of yards away. We were lucky in RI to have a few breachways and jetties where they concentrate. Down here, you have to go about three miles out to find them. (or so I'm told) The water is just too murky - once they get a sniff of an estuary, they're gone. I'm thinking about driving down to Harker's Island come fall. They're still my favorite gamefish.