Fly Tying
Ed Gallop

Carpet Beetles... Enemy to Tiers.

Thanks for the information I like the no pest strips and the cut dog collar ideas they seem simple and less of an irritant (I hope) for my wife, although she usually steers clear of my tying area anyway.

When I think of "no-pest-strips" ... I think of the sticky strips hung from the ceiling.

I hope there's something else, since those would stick to and destroy your materials quicker than the beetle larva could.

Pyritherins are different from what you are using on cattle. It is an extract from chrysanthemums. The bird cage spray is dilute enough to be safe for birds wich are far more susceptible to toxins than a human.

I forgot about the flea collars...I had to quit using them because they cause weird neurological problems with Boids (Pythons, boas, anacondas). It doesn't seem to have that effect on other snakes or reptiles though. It has been a fight for years with herpers.

I read about carpet beetles. Frequent vacuuming will limit them nicely. I'm not sure how the adult beetle gets around, but I don't think they fly (may be mistaken) so if that's true, most of the infection of the damaging larvae would have to be limited to things touching the carpet.

Moths are what scares me. They fly in somehow. Mothballs will do the trick, but smell up materials.

I've been using diatomaceous earth for years to control roaches ( palmetto bugs ) and fleas around my house in Florida. Dog's happy and wife's happy which makes me happy.

Diatomaceous earth is the only thing I've ever seen that will kill fleas in carpet. We had it blown in our carpets and it killed all the fleas and the new ones that hatched out.

I can't believe I never saw a carpet beetle.When I younger, I installed carpet for seven years,and the majority of the jobs, we had to remove the old rug too.I'm thankful I got out of that trade,it's very hard on the body, using your leg as a hammer!

I did carpet and flooring, too, for two years in the late 70's. I, too, have never seen a carpet beetle or larvae.

What I have seen, are dust mites so thick you could see the dust layers moving.

I can't believe I never saw a carpet beetle.When I younger, I installed carpet for seven years,and the majority of the jobs, we had to remove the old rug too.I'm thankful I got out of that trade,it's very hard on the body, using your leg as a hammer!

It's also hard on your lungs. A friend layed flooring and carpet for 35 + years and has serious lung issues that are being blamed on the fibre dust and the chemical fumes from the glue used. I wonder if beetles can live in modern carpets.

I don't know if it was carpet beetle's or moths, I always called them bugs and they ate a pile of prime necks and feathers when I was on deployment. That was 30 or so years ago and I was a sad Seabee when I got home and vowed never again.

The larvae of Dermestids (carpet beetles) molt multiple times during development. If you look carefully, you should find these shed skins in the vicinity of damaged materials if beetle larvae are to blame. Their small size and mottled coloration make them easy to miss. I've never had an infestation in my materials, but I did once see several skins near the door of a carpeted closet. And once I opened an old fly box and found a few skins in one of the compartments of dry flies. Two flies had their hackle cleanly removed on one side. Only the hackle, though, so watch your Whitings. When I looked at one of these flies closely, I eyed the ugly bastard nestled in the base of the chewed hackle collar. They'll chew through poly bags and more. They don't like light or being disturbed. And the adults do fly, from the flowers in your garden, through the gap of a window screen and into your home...to begin the next generation. Fresh cut flowers are, supposedly, a good way to welcome them indoors.

Ironically, there are those who go to great effort and some expense to procure and maintain a population of thousands of these critters to efficiently clean animal skulls and skeletons.

Guest rich mc

what about dryer sheets they work for mosquitos, mice in stored boats i have them with my tying stuff but mosty use to remove static from synthetics when its dry in winter richmc

When I think of "no-pest-strips" ... I think of the sticky strips hung from the ceiling.

I hope there's something else, since those would stick to and destroy your materials quicker than the beetle larva could.

Yeah, those things are nasty. They'll stop anything in its tracks, including a cape buffalo, but they're not worth it. Once they stick to something, it's gone.