Fly Tying

"This Sage Method retails for $850 ..."

Just like Snap-On tools. The original purchase price is double what it's actually worth, so your replacements don't cost Sage anything.

Actually about 4 times the actual value. Not putting them down by any means, but it's pretty well known in the industry that the big name companies like Sage / Winston /T&T and such factor in about 4x for replacement into their retail prices.

Hell maybe I should start charging $900 for my rods and giving unlimited replacements on them lol

NOOOO LOL Please don't, I couldn't afford you! HAHA

You need a 6 wt back up for those big browns anyway. I own 3 6 wts just because that's how it's gone down over a few decades..

Still working on my arsenal. I have a wife, a kid, and another kid on the way. Hard to ask the wife to let me buy 3 6wts, 3 5wts, and a handful of 2-4wt rods... HAHA I currently do have one 8wt, this 6wt, 2 5wts, and a 3wt. I used to have a 4wt, and a 2wt a while back, but had to sell them to pay for rent back when my kid was newly born.

The 8 wt is close enough for backup with those big browns anyway. You should have tried it, it does work, especially in ponds with big fish and all the more if it gets windy..

The 8 wt is close enough for backup with those big browns anyway. You should have tried it, it does work, especially in ponds with big fish and all the more if it gets windy..

Yes, I should have... Like I had said though, this is the first time I didnt bring a backup in years... I just finished moving recently, and I couldn't find my 8wt... Just found it last week though, and used it for some smallmouth yesterday... Slayed them... I think I got like 10-12 in the day. The guy that I fished on the back of his boat got like 15... It was a fun day.

Actually about 4 times the actual value. Not putting them down by any means, but it's pretty well known in the industry that the big name companies like Sage / Winston /T&T and such factor in about 4x for replacement into their retail prices.

Hell maybe I should start charging $900 for my rods and giving unlimited replacements on them lol

I would bankrupt you!

Just a quick note ......down under you quickly learn to carry rods by the handle and have the rest of the rod behind you when traversing from one spot to another smile.png

I have broken a couple of rod tips too in the past lol

One of my favourite rods ( it was a greys 5 wt) got the tip snapped off while climbing down a rock face ( i was trying to fish a gorge with a beautiful waterfall )

Fortunately for me it snapped off at the last guide as I fell the last 30ft ..or I should say slid on my back lol over a large overhanging boulder ...no I fell lol

It did affect the casting a little for the rest of my fishing day ...but I still managed to catch a few solid mountain trout at the bottom of that waterfall.

It took four and a half hours to get in and six hours to climb back out lol ..It didn't leave much time for actual fishing but it was worth it ...Needless to say I was buggered at the end of that day smile.png

Since I'm a full time guide and all of our fishing is from a skiff.... we're hard on rods. Some of my Sage rods have been back to the factory more than once - in the same year.... After a while those costs add up. I found myself very gradually switching over to other makes - and the actual cost of warranty repairs (as well as the turn around time) was one of the factors involved.... I build all the conventional and spinning rods that I hand my anglers (I built my first rod in 1971, and my first fly rod in 1976 so I'm very familiar with every phase of rodbuilding and repairs when needed). Using strictly factory fly rods makes sense for me since I simply can not replace a broken fly rod quickly enough - even when I'm off the water....

Bad idea. :)

:lol:

Since I'm a full time guide and all of our fishing is from a skiff.... we're hard on rods. Some of my Sage rods have been back to the factory more than once - in the same year.... After a while those costs add up. I found myself very gradually switching over to other makes - and the actual cost of warranty repairs (as well as the turn around time) was one of the factors involved.... I build all the conventional and spinning rods that I hand my anglers (I built my first rod in 1971, and my first fly rod in 1976 so I'm very familiar with every phase of rodbuilding and repairs when needed). Using strictly factory fly rods makes sense for me since I simply can not replace a broken fly rod quickly enough - even when I'm off the water....

Yeah i worked on a charter for a while, and rods broke all the time. Part of my job was re-wrapping on guides after our trips. But most of the time the customers just ran into something with the tip of the rod and it would snap. Guides, and charters definitely have a high percentage of rod breakage.