Fly Tying
Duffin Boy

Epoxy Blues

Disaster!

I tied up a bunch of Copper John variants.

(a Fly tribute to Johnny Carson called "Here's Johny") for a swap.

I used a black raffia w/holigraphic strip wingcase and applied a drop of epoxy to the cases a few nights ago. ( my first time working with epoxy.) I mixed half and half according to the directions and it set up perfectly like a dome on each back. The next morning it had run into the fly and dissapeared and left a sticky mess of legs etc. wallbash.gif

Besides not hanging them upside down, why would the stuff still be sticky after over 24hrs ( mixed to instuctions)

Any way to fix these or save them?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Duff

Just my thoughts on this but I have started to use Loon Hard Head for most of my applications instead of epoxy. Takes a couple of coats but you do not have the worries as with epoxy.

I use the Hard Head on all of the shell backs of my shrimp and crayfish.

You have to be careful in mixing. Make absolutely sure that you have the right amounts of hardener and resin. you state that you did, so that is not the problem. Epoxy ages, and the older it gets, the worse it sets. The problem may be that the hardener has begun to oxidize, making it less efficient at curing. This is observable: typically the more yellow the hardener is, the older and more oxidized it is. When buying epoxy, try to buy the stuff with the least yellow hardener. If your epoxy is just somewhat tacky(which means the epoxy has cured most of the way, but not completely), this situation can often be remedied by putting on a coat of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails nail polish.

I'm sorry, but your flies are probably a lost cause. I tend to put my flies on an epoxy wheel most of the time. If I'm doing just a back, and not roating the fly, I'll use 5 minute epoxy (yeah it yellows sooner than the other types, but I'll loose the flies faster than it will yellow anyway).

I hoep this helps you somewhat. Sorry for your bad luck.

Mark Delaney

You might want to try using a hot glue gun instesd of epoxy. Inexpensive at wal Mart, A small one is about 3 bucks and a bag of glue sticks is .99.

Hmm, maybe you didn't mix it thoroughly. I spend a long time mixing (30 seconds or more) and I make sure the edges of the blob are well mixed too. The Lepage's 5 minute epoxy I use takes a short time to turn into a gummy blob so I have to be speedy.

So.... Hamil's Killer? unsure.gif

I suppose it could be outdated hardener, it does darken with age. I'm talking the kind of epoxy I use in the dental lab so it is possible it is different but I don't think it is that much different. As someone else mentioned, thorough mixing is a must. Temperature is also a variable with epoxies. I actually warm mine in hot water to accelerate the setting. I'd suggest you do a couple of tests with what you have left to see if you can figure out the problem. The flies are likely a lost cause.

Happy Trails!

Ronn