Fly Tying
stabgnid

Feather Emporium ??????

I have emailed FE about the thread to give him a chance to address Pompom’s post.

Can we keep this open just a bit longer, in case he does?

I thought it would only be fair to him.

I have emailed FE about the thread to give him a chance to address Pompom’s post.

Can we keep this open just a bit longer, in case he does?

I thought it would only be fair to him.

I'll second that, but someone should probably decide on a timeline for him to make his reply in. A week? Two weeks?

He may just be overloaded or have some other issues that no one is aware of. However, if he is not honoring his placed orders and keeping silent, then that's another matter altogether.

I hope all of this turns out well for everyone involved.

Sure. Plus he can always open his own thread at a later time, if so he chooses.

I'm hoping we hear something from him to clear all of this up. If he fails to heed your email, then that would be too bad, IMO.

You guys are "qualifying" the term red ... why? Are we to assume that they didn't have dyed feathers "back then"?

Is it not possible that instead of naturally occurring off-red colors, the original tier indeed DID use dyed RED materials?

I'm truly not trying to be contrary here. Dyed materials have been around since before "recorded history". Peoples of the nomadic tribes (before the first known "farming communities") were buried in dyed garments.

It's not too far a stretch to believe early "pioneer" fly tiers were using dyed materials, is it?

I'm truly not trying to be contrary here. Dyed materials have been around since before "recorded history".

Yes they have been, and flies have used them that long. However, traditionally patterns that have used a dyed feather make that explicit: "feather X dyed red". Just "red" has traditionally meant a natural color when referring to hackles. It's similar to the way you never saw a hackle color listed as "gray" or "grey"; it was listed as "dun". (And pretty much still is.) Hackle colors have their own language, which is different than common usage.

"pom-pom's post has been deleted and this thread is locked. If Dave from FE wants to reply or anything speaks with him then that reply will be welcomed and I will be glad to reopen this thread at that time. The reason pom poms post was deleted is because it was his 1st post and it was blatantly slamming a business. Could it be a valid slam? Sure, it may be, but being his very first and only post there is just as much chance it could be a competing business or someone that just has a vendetta against Dave or FE and we won't let this site be used for that.