Fly Tying
Rocco

Fly Tying Video Fails

On 6/1/2017 at 10:02 AM, Poopdeck said:

Never heard of frank sawyer but I'm sure he's a great man. Regardless of his name that is one worthless video I will never watch again or recommend others to watch.

Frank Sawyer is the famous river keeper on the Avon River in England. The Avon, along with the Test and Ichen are the historic chalk stream (spring creek) rivers of fBritish Fly Fishing.

http://www.hardyfishing.com/Hardy-fin-fly-november-2015-the-chalkstream.html

A SBS for Frank Sawyer’s Original Pheasant Tail Nymph (PTN) is below. Note the shape of the body is copper wire wound on the hook. A few links on Frank Sawyer follow.

Tying_the_Sawyer_Pheasant_Tail_Nymph_9.j

http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/fly-fishing/fly-tying/item/222-tying-the-ptn-to-the-original-pattern.html

http://flystream.com/2016/08/12/in-the-footsteps-of-frank-sawyer/

The best video I have seen lately outside of the professionally produced videos on YouTube is Peter Collin's How to tie a crayfish fly. Very well done, shot from the tyer's perspective, and no-nonsense explination of the tying sequence:

The WORST is the professionally prodoced 2 DVD set by Bob (should be Boob) Wyatt - Flies that catch fish Vols. 1 & 2. This is poorly lit, very little close up of the tying, lots ans lots of Bob spewing his BS - and they have the nerve to have a section where Bob "shares" his philosophy (more like commands his subjects because Bob is the fly tying "god"). Here is a snippet to judge for yourself:

Besides being overpriced at $30 each, the publisher expects you to download the fly pattern reciepes from their website - the couldn't include it as a pdf file on the DVD!!!! THESE 2 ARE TOTAL CRAP...

Can I see some of the videos that you guys criticizing others have done? Just curious as to how to make a good video. Figured those who are commenting must have some to use by example.

There are embedded links to the videos I discuss in my post. You should be able to click on the link or copy and paste it int the addres block.

Can I see some of the videos that you guys criticizing others have done? Just curious as to how to make a good video. Figured those who are commenting must have some to use by example.

laugh.png

You don't have to be a marine biologist, nor an established movie director to know "Sharknado" was one of the worst movies ever made.

And just like badly made tying videos, even that movie has it's followers.

Why? are you suggesting we have to be videographers before we're capable of criticizing a crappy video. If so, I would like to see one of your videos. I'm just figuring those who never seen a bad video also must have some of their own work to use as an example. I know my point is pointless but it also shows how misguided your comment is.

We all criticize or praise many things in the course of a day. Whether that's the food we eat, a book, movie, what house or car we buy, politicians we vote for, and so on and so on and so on. Criticism is not a four letter word. In fact, criticism is a good thing. The majority of the time criticism is positive and beneficial to those who want to learn and grow. Only those afraid of criticism add the negative connotations to it. Anybody out there who makes fly tying videos will Benifit from this thread if they accept the criticism and make corrections in their own work to produce videos that people will actually seek out and watch. If they allow criticism to get them in a snit they will simply continue to put out crappy videos that nobody will watch. Which way would you want it if you produced tying videos?

reading through the responses so far should be enough to guide you to what you should and shouldnt be doing in a fly tying video

spend some time on you tube and youll find the good videos and the bad videos

I understand the point of what the thread is for, and took a lot of the comments, and things that irked viewers as constructive criticism, but was just wondering if those who are making the comments have ever tried to put a tying video together, or how-to video if you will? Its not that easy, and is especially tough if you don't have the camera, or area to do the tying video.

I have a lot of people on facebook who often ask me to put together a tutorial on certain patterns and such. As of right now I don't have the money to invest in a good camera, so often would have to just use my I-phone. If you think about it, it really wouldn't be a sound business investment anyway. LOL If you teach people how to tie your creations then you cant sell them right? LOL. But I do them anyway, and really enjoy getting people started in tying flies. I have done a couple "face time" or "live chats" with people who wanted to learn to tie something that I tie. I enjoy helping others, but am limited on my equipment, and facility if you will to make these high quality videos. Another issue is limited time. Hammering on a list you want to get out also plays into this. I don't have the time to spend and extra hour prepping for a how to video. I am tying from 10:00pm to 1-2:00 am almost every night. I have (3) kids under the age of 5, (2) of them are twin 2 year olds. So its tough to use time for that sort of thing.

I am not really in it for the money as it is, but would rather spend that money on other materials, or into my rod building excursion I am about to take.

I am not out there trying to sell videos, so I can see the anguish some of you had shown in buying a $30.00 video or what have you, and then get something that did not meet your expectations. But many of the videos you see are just from your average guy out there who got a request for one of their patterns. LOL

The videos I have done would most likely end up in the "trash bin" of this thread, but many people learned to tie a new pattern with pretty decent instruction. My approach to it, is try to give a full breakdown of why I am tying the way I am, as opposed to just showing how to tie something. Maybe tell the person I am overlapping this material to make the fly durable and such.

Just to name a few of the things that would drive you guys nuts:

ratty beard,

camo hat,

tying in my shed

most likely have a chew in

pause to take a drink of beer

poor lighting

dropping the phone in the middle of a video, so I had to make a part two.

I would say that I may "over explain" a lot in my videos. I like to make the instruction as more of a WHY instead of a how. I think it is more beneficial that way. If you show someone just how to tie something, they my do something close, and it may look the same, but may not know why they tied it a certain way I feel it sticks more with them. I would say my videos have been less on the zoomed in to the hook style as the have been with me in the back ground describing why I am tying the way I am. Or describing how the material will move in the water, or why I chose squirrel instead of grey dubbing...etc

I can take criticisms and really appreciate them. But I think it is better to take criticisms from those who have done the thing they are criticizing first, but on the same token in this subject matter it is the audience who would make the best critics. I didn't want that to come across as snide, or anything like that in the comment I first made on this topic, but wanted you to understand that there may be a reason that the person posts a "fail" type instructional video. I think "fail" may have been the thing that made me question. I guess "fail" is kind of subjective. If people can learn to tie the pattern I am try to help them with, and get a better understand on why I tied it that way, then I would chalk it up as win.

I think it is more of what your expectations are. But would like to add the old phrase "don't judge a book by its cover" you may miss some pretty good instruction if you hit the back button, or next button too soon, because the video is dim, or tyer has a beard, or pauses to drink a beer. LOL!!

And just have to say that many of these comments are appreciated, and I am definitely going to re-read this thread a few times, to get a better understanding on what I should be doing differently that I did not take into consideration before, or just didn't think mattered that much.

I think the point of alll of these comments is: if you are going to take the time to make a fly tying video, please take the time to make it appealing - the intent is to share information on tying a fly, not what was for lunch based on the stain on your shirt...the peeving is multiply compounded when the video is for sale.

Every fly tyer has a trick or two to share - these are great! But when it comes to pompous a#!holes telling us that they are the best thing to ever tie a fly - well that's a different story!!

I do not agree that you have to make videos to offer criticism on other videos.

You do not have to be a chef to tell another chef that his steak was too tough for your taste.

I think a tying video should be a tying video and not a video of a guy sitting there in a camo hat drinking a beer behind a distant vise. I don't make videos but I watch a lot of them and I believe you can have a close up of the actual fly being tied while also enjoying your hat, beard, beer and stimulating oration of the fly and its material off camera. I think it's safe to say you are making videos for people to watch so wouldn't you want as many people as possible watching? I also don't believe you need an expensive set up to film a tying video. There are some great instructional videos done on the cheap.

Another fail,

I recently watched a video where the intro was a full minute of the 4 minute video. Cheesy music with ever changing nature and fishing scenes with a plea to subscribe to the guys channel. A 10 second intro seems more than enough to me. A quality tying video needs no begging for subscribers.

1. I understand the point of what the thread is for, and took a lot of the comments, and things that irked viewers as constructive criticism, but was just wondering if those who are making the comments have ever tried to put a tying video together, or how-to video if you will? Its not that easy, and is especially tough if you don't have the camera, or area to do the tying video.

2. I have a lot of people on facebook who often ask me to put together a tutorial on certain patterns and such. As of right now I don't have the money to invest in a good camera, so often would have to just use my I-phone. If you think about it, it really wouldn't be a sound business investment anyway. LOL If you teach people how to tie your creations then you cant sell them right? LOL. But I do them anyway, and really enjoy getting people started in tying flies. I have done a couple "face time" or "live chats" with people who wanted to learn to tie something that I tie. I enjoy helping others, but am limited on my equipment, and facility if you will to make these high quality videos. Another issue is limited time. Hammering on a list you want to get out also plays into this. I don't have the time to spend and extra hour prepping for a how to video. I am tying from 10:00pm to 1-2:00 am almost every night. I have (3) kids under the age of 5, (2) of them are twin 2 year olds. So its tough to use time for that sort of thing.

3. I am not really in it for the money as it is, but would rather spend that money on other materials, or into my rod building excursion I am about to take.

I am not out there trying to sell videos, so I can see the anguish some of you had shown in buying a $30.00 video or what have you, and then get something that did not meet your expectations. But many of the videos you see are just from your average guy out there who got a request for one of their patterns. LOL

4. The videos I have done would most likely end up in the "trash bin" of this thread, but many people learned to tie a new pattern with pretty decent instruction. My approach to it, is try to give a full breakdown of why I am tying the way I am, as opposed to just showing how to tie something. Maybe tell the person I am overlapping this material to make the fly durable and such.

5. Just to name a few of the things that would drive you guys nuts:

ratty beard,

camo hat,

tying in my shed

most likely have a chew in

pause to take a drink of beer

poor lighting

dropping the phone in the middle of a video, so I had to make a part two.

I would say that I may "over explain" a lot in my videos. I like to make the instruction as more of a WHY instead of a how. I think it is more beneficial that way. If you show someone just how to tie something, they my do something close, and it may look the same, but may not know why they tied it a certain way I feel it sticks more with them. I would say my videos have been less on the zoomed in to the hook style as the have been with me in the back ground describing why I am tying the way I am. Or describing how the material will move in the water, or why I chose squirrel instead of grey dubbing...etc

6. I can take criticisms and really appreciate them. But I think it is better to take criticisms from those who have done the thing they are criticizing first, but on the same token in this subject matter it is the audience who would make the best critics. I didn't want that to come across as snide, or anything like that in the comment I first made on this topic, but wanted you to understand that there may be a reason that the person posts a "fail" type instructional video. I think "fail" may have been the thing that made me question. I guess "fail" is kind of subjective. If people can learn to tie the pattern I am try to help them with, and get a better understand on why I tied it that way, then I would chalk it up as win.

I think it is more of what your expectations are. But would like to add the old phrase "don't judge a book by its cover" you may miss some pretty good instruction if you hit the back button, or next button too soon, because the video is dim, or tyer has a beard, or pauses to drink a beer. LOL!!

And just have to say that many of these comments are appreciated, and I am definitely going to re-read this thread a few times, to get a better understanding on what I should be doing differently that I did not take into consideration before, or just didn't think mattered that much.

1. i dont have to make a video to critique a video

2 & 3. if you want to shoot quality videos, spend about $300 for a point and shoot camera that shoots HD or 4K formats. use your iphone for selfies. then play around with rod building

4. less bullshit the better but also stay on point. dont drift onto a different subject into10 minutes of your last fishing exposition

5. ratty beard and camo hat are fine if they are off camera.

talking with a wad of chew in your mouth or constantly spitting into your beer bottle is pretty gross in my opinion

poor lighting and dropping your camera is not going to make people return to watch future videos

dont forget personal hygiene

6. i think youre asking video makers how they go about making tying videos. i think this is totally different than what we see as video "fails" and is another subject

read this on making a fly tying video

http://www.hammercreekflyfishing.com/blog/category/creating%20a%20fly%20tying%20video

not the way to make a tying video

I tried the sawyer link and it didnt work. Anyone able to post a link that works to watch Frank tie the PT? I'm very interested in watching that.