Fly Tying
prairiedrifter

Looking for wing material suggestions

Looking for a wing material that is easy to see on small flies. I'm looking for a more natural color than pink or orange, maybe something a little reflective that can catch the sun and " light" up a bit.

I like polypropylene yarn, like Mcflylon, in white. For me white is the most visible in a variety of light conditions. I use it as wings on everything down to size 22 dries, and I can see my fly at 60+ feet without any problems, even in low light. Fish don't seem to be bothered by the white, I think it blends into the sky, but I've often seen fish refuse friend's flies with bright colored wings.

I like EP Trigger Point fibers. Sparkle Organza might be the shiniest, though.

https://store.flyfishfood.com/EP-Trigger-Point-Int-l-Fibers-p/epq.htm

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-sparkle-organza (Also available from fabric stores for a fraction of the price)

Joe

Just a thought, Angle Hair or Lite Brite. You can get in white or pearl and it is reflective. On small flies it should be relativly stiff enough to stand up.

roll some strands of krystal flash with your existing wing post material

fluorescent yarns

One of my fellow dry fly fishermen up here is just a bit older than I am. He has started to fish more parachutes. He ties with a bright white or Flourescent white synthetic (Antron or Krystal Flash) post. Sometimes, he will also cut a slight indent into the top of the fibers of his post. Then, he can put a small dab of fluorescent orange or green paint on the indent on the very top of the post, but still not spook the fish. The paint is only visible from above this way. Another trick he uses is to tie in a fluorescent post and then tie in some white material around it. This also gives him a little view of color from above, but hides it pretty well from the fish. A good parachute fly with a fairly densely wound hackle can hide the post pretty well. One last trick he has tried is making the bottom of the post white or grey, and the top brightly colored. He either ties in a bright post and touches some grey paint to the bottom of the post before winding the hackle, or he ties in a natural post and paints the top half of the post with orange Hi Vis paint. Both of these methods rely on the density of the hackle to hide the bright post.

Some of the guys are laughing at his funny looking flies, but I'm getting too close to his age to find fault. I'm probably going to end up stealing his ideas before too long!

In the same line as parachute flies, if you want wound hackle style there is no reason you could put a bright colored parachute post on and wrap hackle in back and front. If you feel the visibility of a wing is critical on a fly (most don't on small flies) then the post would accomplish this for you and the straight up and above hackle post would stand out better than wings blending into hackle.

I tie size 28 and 30 midges for the local tailwater. Not to be a tough guy, but it's the only dry fly game in town at certain times of the year. I've found that you can use an oversized amount of CDC relative to the fly body. Should work for small flies in general and really helps with visibility when you put some Frog's Fanny (or equivalent) on it.

+1 on McGnat's suggestion for Hi-Viz...

Very reflective, selection of natural colors, and still available from J. Stockard - give this stuff a try!!

In the same line as parachute flies, if you want wound hackle style there is no reason you could put a bright colored parachute post on and wrap hackle in back and front. If you feel the visibility of a wing is critical on a fly (most don't on small flies) then the post would accomplish this for you and the straight up and above hackle post would stand out better than wings blending into hackle.

In a similar effort to put a spot of color hidden from the fish, for midge dries, I use a foam post with a bright orange spot on the flat top. I use a marker or fluorescent orange fabric paint.

Most of the time, I just use a bright orange, pink or yellow post or wing. I've caught some very picky fish using fluoro posts.