Fly Tying
despatiesim

Eye protection whe using uv cure resin lamps?

I use one of these. Yeah, I know it's a little bit of an over-kill......

1648512_700x700.jpg

Haha, thanks everybody for the replies! Even the funny highjackers!

Just for what its worth, I asked by optometrist this week (was in for an eye exam). According to her, any uv proof sunglases would protect my eyes., if they are clear enough to work with. I like the idea of the dentist glasses; am going to look into it.

For those who believe it is harlmess, welll to each their own. It just might be, but I'm not going to chance it.

Cheers!

you really should be wearing safety glasses whenever at the tying bench. I've had hooks break under force, others have had hooks fly out of vises. bits of material fly off when clipped, drops of CA glue splatter when dropped, etc. UV is only one hazard, and an infrequent one compared to others.

I didn't know fly tying was so dangerous. in a litigation happy society I'm sure my optometrist would also tell me to wear my PFD with the kill switch lanyard attached. Seriously, you don't need any eye protection to protect yourself from a flashlight but whatever keeps you sane. I wash my hands 25 times a day for no good reason other than it makes me feel better so have at it.

I would think there is a lot more UV glare off the water fishing than from the reflections of a UV light for resin. I don't use the resin or the light though, but I do fish with or without sunglasses.. Right now I have the glasses that fit over prescription glasses, they aren't too dark but have high UV protection. I don't know if $45 is too high a cost for the OP but I got these from my optometrist. They are polarized too. You could ask there.

... tell me to wear my PFD with the kill switch lanyard attached.

If the motor's running, I will tell you your optometrist would be absolutely correct!

If the engine ISN'T running, then you can disconnect the lanyard ... but the PFD should stay on.

I'm guilty of one of the hijacks but in all seriousness, your optometrist is probably right. One doesn't have to look AT the UV light to get a short shot of UV light. It's probably like death by a thousand cuts.

A long time ago I was working a summer construction job where welding was going on. The foreman told me not to look at the glare. I knew that already from welding class in high school; however, that welding was going on in my peripheral vision and every now and then I'd look over a get a short shot. Well, that next morning I woke up and was blind! My eyes felt like they had sand in them. I called my foreman and told him and he said stay at home and they should be ok in a day or two. He was right but damn that was painful.

I think these UV lights should be treated with caution. No, I don't wear a welder's mask but I do wear glasses and shut my eyes when I turn the light toward the fly. That little glint of reflection, over the long-haul, could cause problems. That's why dentists use UV glasses in their practice. The UV rays reflect off the shinny cleaned teeth. So says my brother-in-law the dentist.

If the motor's running, I will tell you your optometrist would be absolutely correct!

If the engine ISN'T running, then you can disconnect the lanyard ... but the PFD should stay on.

Kill switch yes. PDF Nope. I'll never wear a PDF. Never have never will. I don't care if someone wears one or not and I can't understand why those who choose to wear one want me wear one. A few years back pa passed a law forcing anyone with a 16' boat or smaller to wear one during cold weather until may 1st. I went out and bought an 18 foot boat so I don't have to wear one during the April shad run. I'll wear eye protection while fly tying before I ever wear a PDF. If I were to force my choices on everybody else then I would reinstitute prohibition, ban deep fryers, outlaw raised casting decks and high HP motors. Thankfully I believe in people making their own choices.

I'm not a rebel I just don't like wearing a PDF. i have them and I'll put one one when I feel it's needed Just like wearing safety googles when fly tying. For the record I wore a PFD once but that was only because I was freezing to death and needed it for added warmth.

Just like wearing seatbelts in automobile. I think it's ridiculous to give someone a ticket for not wearing it while a guy riding a motorcycle doesn't even have to wear a helmet in some states. Me? I like my bones where they are and in one piece and always wear a belt plus wore an inflatable PFD when fishing alone. I do think radiation form a cell phone next to my brain may be more hazardous than an occasional use of a UV light to cure resin however.

Kill switch yes. PDF Nope. I'll never wear a PDF. Never have never will.

I'm not "forcing" you to wear anything ... nor do I think it should be made into law. I don't agree with seat belt laws, either.

I think people should be able to make their choices ... and if the wrong choice gets them dead, all the better.

I also believe that no government help is allowed for people who get maimed or disabled through those same choices.

Disability is for people who are disabled through no fault or choice of their own.

Kill switch yes. PDF Nope. I'll never wear a PDF. Never have never will. I don't care if someone wears one or not and I can't understand why those who choose to wear one want me wear one. A few years back pa passed a law forcing anyone with a 16' boat or smaller to wear one during cold weather until may 1st. I went out and bought an 18 foot boat so I don't have to wear one during the April shad run. I'll wear eye protection while fly tying before I ever wear a PDF. If I were to force my choices on everybody else then I would reinstitute prohibition, ban deep fryers, outlaw raised casting decks and high HP motors. Thankfully I believe in people making their own choices.

I'm not a rebel I just don't like wearing a PDF. i have them and I'll put one one when I feel it's needed Just like wearing safety googles when fly tying. For the record I wore a PFD once but that was only because I was freezing to death and needed it for added warmth.

I'll fight you over this