Fly Tying
vicrider

Wanna do the EuroOrBust swap...

They're all in and I'll be sorting and sending them out tomorrow. Steve might have been a bit late but his little streamer is a sure winner.

Why your flies will be an extra day late. Blame in on the Swapmeister. I spent this afternoon getting everything sorted out and ready to go before the PO closed. Went to put mine in the mix...and couldn't find them. I flat mean they were gone! I didn't totally panic since misplacing things is something I've practiced all my life. One of the things I do best is putting them in a place where they'll be safe until I need them and forgetting where the safe place was. Okay, I have been doing the flies for Byron's swap which meant to me, marabou and schlappen feathers. These definitely mean a big mess on the table as you work. I had to sit back, take a break, have a beer (actually a coke since I don't drink but I can pretend), and start cleaning. Got the whole table cleaned, and it needed it. Went through several boxes of fly boxes, plastic boxes, empty boxes, nothing. Finally got to the back of the table and there were two lidded BLACK plastic tins my wife gave me from some products of hers to store things in. Pulled them to the front of the table and tape on top one said foam and wires for articulating. Checked and that's what was in there. Took bottom tin and right on top it said, "Flies for design your own swap".

Deep breath and looked out window and it was dark. Looked at bench and looked better than it has in years. Asked wife if she'd cooked and said I'd eaten but mind was wandering. Guess I was sorting through areas I hadn't looked yet. So tomorrow will see them in mail and mine and a bunch of nice extras are going into an empty fly box to use just for the White River so I can actually show the fish I may catch on your fly. I want to bring up something else. When I sort, and I think some others do it this way, I spread all the envelopes and put the container on top. I pile the flies in front and pick them up and go around and drop one in each person's box for return. Well someone sent a really nice fly (I think it's a caddis version) and put each one in a small envelope with the person's name who they were to go to. Since they were all the same and I really have no way to know whose package is who's when I'm sorting you will get a nice fly addressed to someone else. Don't worry about it because that person also go one with someone else's name on it, maybe yours. Unless he did something wicked like dipping the ones for certain people in gasoline and hand lotion then it'll be fine since all were the same.

So anyone can be late once in awhile, even if the reason is as stupid as hiding your flies without leaving yourself a note where you'd hidden them.

I don't know why but I had more trouble sorting things on this swap than on any I'd done before. Didn't help that after I sort them all I carefully go through and count each box. Just wasn't coming out right. Finally gave up and started sealing packages and lifted one and found a full set of flies I'd hidden. That's why some of your packages will look like they were cut open and resealed with tape. They were thanks to my screw up. It might be well some of the packages won't have the exact flies you should be getting and you may even get one of you own but everybody should get a great set of flies and they are finally on their way.

Hatchet Jack used the phrase "herding cats" and that's what this sorting experience for me. I really enjoy hosting swaps but hate it when I'm not sure if I got everything in the right box and no matter how careful I am I still manage to get a couple that hang together and then catch when I do the final count.

Thanks for all the flies from everyone and I hope I'm able to get this set wet for a change.

Got a nice set of flies. Thank you Vice for hosting a great swap. I look forward to fishing these guys this fall. I'll send some nice pics of these beauties hooked in the proper spots. GP

Really nice flys everyone, 2 of mine lost their toe tags, Steve was the one with green salmon fly hook yours?

Yes it was .. Steve-stabgnid

thought so, your making much better usr of those salmon hooks than I would've.

I tied some real nice Green Butt Skunks with them for a friends office and the were awesome looking in the picture frame ..

Steve-stabgnid