Fly Tying
ben bell

is tenkara catching on?

Yes but I don't think it will grow as much as fly fishing simply because it is pretty much limited to small trout and other fish like that. You simply can't catch just about any saltwater species like a bonefish on tenkara because without drag something will break.

I think it will grow, but definitely not to the point where fly fishing is now

Here's a video of a guy catching a bonefish on tenkara:

https://www.facebook.com/zenflyfishinggear/videos/601988903332708/?pnref=story

Here's some pictures of other salt water fish (shark and tarpon) caught on Tenkara:

http://www.zenflyfishinggear.com/news/shark-and-tarpon-tenkara/

I know people who fish for carp with tenkara.

Of course, it won't grow to the point where fly fishing is now. Neither will dry fly fishing or nymph fishing, since they're all subsets of fly fishing.

vicrider, i thought about tape. lol. but the butt is only 1/2" diameter.. it would take maybe two rolls of tape to buildit up and since i make my rods i had plenty grips laying around and the eva grip just slipped on nicely.

post-55674-0-90877000-1501009898_thumb.jpg

Yes! It's quickly catching on! Get in on the bandwagon while you can! Just think of all the hippy mountain chicks that will swarm you, filled with curiosity. So many, in fact, that it almost ruined my marriage! That's why I'm forced to sell mine. And since you seem like a good guy, I'm gonna offer it to you for $125 shipped. It's only been used once.

post-52832-0-50481500-1500991924_thumb.jpg

You can find poles fairly cheap. I bought two at a yard sale for $3 each. They were just three sections of cane, but works well in the right places.

To me its like going back to fishing with a cane pole when I was a kid. Nothing more than daubbing a fly with backwards hackle. If I wanted to do it I have a 10 ft telescoping panfish pole and would simply tie off at the end and daub. I also have trouble with the fact that with a tenkara rod it takes so long to land a fish and no drag, Yuck!! I have too much money invested in Sage rods to drop a couple of hundred dollars to buy such a simple get up. Not knocking it or anyone who does it. I hope they have fun with it . There is a good story in the last issue of Fly Fisherman Magazine called " lessons from a simple fly" that starts out talking about a fly pattern and ends up talking a great deal about Tenkara . Sorry Guys but, I am a dyed in the wool purest and a follower of guys like Dave Whitlock, A.K. Best, Ray Bergman not to mention so many others.

Tight lines and Drag free drifts always,

Tube

I have too much money invested in Sage rods to drop a couple of hundred dollars to buy such a simple get up.

My chief problem with it is simply that it's too much like fly fishing I already do to go out purchase special equipment (although it's a lot cheaper than conventional gear.)

When I'm fishing wet flies upstream, in the traditional North Country style (something I do frequently), I use a 10 foot Grey's Streamflex three weight, pull pull a fixed amount fixed amount of line off the reel, usually about 15 feet, plus leader, and then don't touch the reel the rest of the day.

When I've fished tenkara, I've used a 12 foot rod, which would probably rated at about a 2 weight, with a fixed amount line, usually about 15, with a slightly shorter leader.The casting stroke is exactly the same as when I'm fishing North Country style, (which is not vaguely related to dapping in either the US or UK sense of the word, but involves backcasting to load the rod). I get about the same amount of drift. Until I hooked a fish, it was easy to forget which type of equipment I'm using.

Differences between the two? With the western style rod, I'm using a team of flies, with tenkara, only one. That's about it.

Why spend the extra money for something for which I already have the necessary tools?

having first been exposed to it in Japan, where it came from, I have a few observations. The style of fishing was MARKETED here in the US for no other reason than to make money. Just like "Euro-Nymphing" and other bull++++, because fly fishermen, as a demographic, are gullible fools with more money than brains. The "backwards" hackle on shibari-flies is just a style- nothing more, which made sense to the people who developed them so long ago in the places they lived. It is no more or less "lame" than any other element of fly tying style. People who marketed it to "WESTERN" HA HA HA HA fly fishermen added a spiritual and mystical and "pure" attitude to their sales pitches, which is utter and complete garbage.

Is it dying out? No, because in the trout-centric world of fly fishermen, there will always be a subset of people who want to think they are even better than just plain-old-regular fly fishermen. In our shallow consumer culture, if you add a Japanese or other far-eastern name to your marketing pitch, it automatically makes it great!!! Ginsu!!

Yokosuka or Sasebo? I remember watching those tuna fishing shows when I was a kid. They sometimes used three or four rods with one line when they were fishing for the big boys. I quit going to the Outdoor Show in Harrisburg when there started being more booths pushing things like Ginsu knives than fishing or hunting stuff.

i was first exposed to it over 65 years ago with a cane pole and string and it lead to bigger things..my brother never fly fished, but he loves this tenkara..i,m sitting back and just watching to see how big the planted seed will get..lol.

Is it dying out? No, because in the trout-centric world of fly fishermen, there will always be a subset of people who want to think they are even better than just plain-old-regular fly fishermen. In our shallow consumer culture, if you add a Japanese or other far-eastern name to your marketing pitch, it automatically makes it great!!! Ginsu!!

Even my Japanese buddies don't fish Tenkara.

It was a method for taking every bit of fish out of a fish pond

while draining it.

you got elitest snobs in just about every human activity but that doesn,t make the activity not worth doing..it,s only a pole with a string and an angle on one end and a jerker on the other..lol.