Fly Tying
ben bell

is tenkara catching on?

Like many, I caught my first fish on a cane pole. Once I became "hooked" on fishing, my Uncle gave me his 1950ish glass rod&reel. That was a few decades ago. I wish I still had that rod and reel.

Mom is 85, she's very active, but her hands have a little difficulty manipulating a reel. We went to Walmart and got her a cane pole. She used it all during the winter/spring chasing trout and also Crappie and white Bass. For her, it works great.

That's just yo-yoing. When I was a kid I used to watch the Cuban guys on the jetties using yo-yo rigs made out of beer bottles with a sinker and a hook. I did it a couple of times, didn't catch anything. You basically whirl the line like a lasso and then when you hurl it you point the bottle towards your cast so the line comes off like a spinning reel. You can cast pretty far doing this. Those old Cuban guys had leather hands and could hand line in some pretty big fish like black drum and snook with no problems. A lot of Walmarts here in Florida even sell yoyo rigs now.

To the original question, no, I think it is a short-time, not very expensive fad that may be fun but I doubt its sustainability. Sure, you can catch fish with tenkara, but so can you with any other method. I may be wrong, but I think it's for small fish for limited distances.

Nope it sure isn't. In fact I would say its just about dead. I've seen one and only one guy fishing tenkara and that was a few years ago. Haven't seen another since and I have yet to see tenkara anything in any fly shop I've been in. I generally just pull my fly out of the water and flip it back out tenkara style but I have the reel for flexibility. Personally I don't get why anybody would want to fish without the reel.

The Little River Outfitters in Townsend, Tennessee has a space in the shop devoted to Tenkara. They are selling a lot of it. The Tenkara system is perfect for the small streams in the Smokeys.

Joe

Nope it sure isn't. In fact I would say its just about dead. I've seen one and only one guy fishing tenkara and that was a few years ago. Haven't seen another since and I have yet to see tenkara anything in any fly shop I've been in. I generally just pull my fly out of the water and flip it back out tenkara style but I have the reel for flexibility. Personally I don't get why anybody would want to fish without the reel.

The Little River Outfitters in Townsend, Tennessee has a space in the shop devoted to Tenkara. They are selling a lot of it. The Tenkara system is perfect for the small streams in the Smokeys.

Joe

Our local shops are selling a lot of it as well, and I see quite a few people on my home waters (not a particularly small stream) using it.

another thing with say a 12' rod you can drop a couple sections and have a 9' rod for really small streams..you,ll have a much slower action but that may be ok, especilly for smaller fish and flys.

My brother brought me a rod back from Japan about 3 years ago... today was only the second time I've used it.

post-22241-0-10306700-1504348901_thumb.jpg

Used mine on Friday. Got a large number of about 8 inch bass on it using a midge pattern just under the surface.

Let it drop about a foot and then slowly pull it up.

Rick