Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Solarez and Ultrafire WF502b light

I found a uv light at my local harbor freight store. The thing works like a charm with all the uv resins I use. I bought the purple one from Wal-Mart worked good for a while then went on the fritz. Wife bought me a deer creek uv laser. That thing worked awesome until it somehow got dropped and doesn't work nearly as good anymore.

It's a black 9 led and says quantum down the side. So far it's been a good light. I think it cost me 7 bucks with a super coupon

I have seen recommendations to put a thin coat of clear head cement over the cured resin to keep the surface nice and clear.

Maybe this is just me. But why would I want to use a resin if I need to put on a light coat of head cement to keep it clear? I would just rather use the head cement.

Some resins claim they are "tack free' after curing but still need a coat of head cement ir Sally Hansen's to remove the tackiness

Alcohol wipes can also be used to remove the tackiness.

Putting your flies in the sun works too

I don't think the purpose of head cement is to keep the resin clear. Resin supposedly doesn't yellow line epoxy

No need to use uv resin if you prefer to just use head cement

Understood. Maybe that was the reason for the top coat.

There are a few times I think the UV resin would be a big help. One example is streamer flies that use mono as the thread or on streamers like Black Nosed Dace or Mickey Finn that use layers of bucktail, bear, or similar slick materials. I use a small amount of Sally as the materials are building up to maintain grip. I would like to hit it with a little of the thin resin and set it within seconds and then move on.

Instant set time is a main reason, for me, to use UV resin. However ... there are some fantastic baitfish patterns that are mostly UV secured ... little thread used at all.

i tie a lot of hairwing flies and i am guilty of using a tiny amount of uv resin to help prevent staticly charged hair from wildly flaring

my streamer heads are finished with uv resin

I tie and use a lot of Black Nosed Dace. I would like to use the resin in very small amounts for the deer and bear hair and also use it for the head like you said. I may pick up a torch from Lowes and get the Loon resin at Cabelas. Mickey Finn would be another.

$.02 when I'm using bucktail or slick fibers like the kids hair, which I use a lot, I apply Krazyglue with the brush applicator even though I resin the finished deal. Careful if you use too much like anything; great for soaking in but will "run out" the fibers. It dries real fast in small amounts. The instantaneous UV with the lite is great for "catching" items in all matters...as long as lite can hit it or better if it shines thru...Greatest thing since sliced bread or micro chips....