Fly Tying
Tom Cummings

Going to spend 500.00 on a pole. Orvis or llbean brand. Opinions pls

I have fished the superfine carbon in creeks lakes and a river now. Both limited cast and open and it has done outstanding for me. I roll cast maybe 70 percent but when open I shoot 50 ft np with feather light lay. The choice to upgrade was well worth it and have yet to be camp grounded due to weather that my previous setup would have done to me.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for. Works in all aspects. Relationships flourish when nourished wood work is better with high grade tools not home owner black and Decker and so on.

Thanks for the review Tom, I have been eyeballing an Orvis rod myself lately. What brand of line did you use with it?

Mike

I response to poopdock. If you try to use substandard cheap tools to achieve high quality wood work it will show but you can adapt and produce marginal woodwork. I stand by the saying. You get what you pay for. Most times it's the name but sometimes it's the quality. Anybody can adapt and be successful on a budget income to fly fish but if you can afford it why not go with gear that further enhances your experiences. My starter was budget mind in case I didn't get into fly fishing. Now I'm obsessive and always looking for better. You never need to spend a fortune to enjoy. Natural materials is available to tie. Many cheap options for a vise that's not a vise. Regular thread can work. A cheap rod reel combo can produce. But if you truly get addicted nothing but best will do.

I've turned into my father who always said there's no need to spend money that don't need to be spent. Although I've reached a point in life where I can spend without financial restraints I still believe there's no need to spend it if it need not be. Because of this mentally me and my wife will be fully retired at age 56 and ready to travel. I agree in some cases the term you get what you pay for rings true. Fortunately, for me, it does not apply to fishing rods. One could say I've never used an expensive rod so I'm all wet. This may be true but I can't miss what I never had especially since I think my gear is more than adequate. I don't begrudge anybody who likes the more expensive things in life. By the way I am equally addicted to fly fishing. While it made me feel like I was 10 years old again I'm still not abandoning the spin gear and every now and again bait dunking for giant cats.

Again, what's important is that we all have confidence in our gear regardless of cost or brand. Another weird thing about me is I have no brand loyalty what's so ever. It's almost an obsession to me to avoid paying for name brands like Sage, Simms and orvis, although orvis does have some nice less expensive rods.

Congrats on reaching the goal of retirement financial security. Had I got become addicted to fly tie and fish some years back I think I would have stayed retired. Now with my own business and loyal repeat customer base I work for enjoyment. As for gear I do agree that most less expensive gear is more than adequate and ultimately it is the user and not the gear that makes the difference in good or bad fisher.

There's a difference between working for yourself and working for someone else. I use to enjoy my job but in the last two years it became less than enjoyable and I found it harder and harder to get up in the morning and go in. I'd planned to retire in February 2018 but the extra few months wouldn't have made much difference in my pension and the non job related, at least in my view, BS that we had to go through wasn't worth it. Though considering the current situation in WESTPAC, things must be getting interesting for whoever took over my old job.

I have an older Orvis HLS rainbow 9'6" 6 weight 2 piece, the tip broke with 1 month left on the 25 year warranty and they replaced the tip section (not repaired) very happy with their service. Have had my Orvis 9 x 9 tip replaced in the past without issue also. Both rods heavily fished, have never cast their newer rods but would not hesitate to buy one if they made my price point, at this time they do not. I have other rods glass (6), bamboo (2), and graphite (8) that I have acquired over time but my preference for most of my fishing is 3 older Orvis graphite rods, all had the 25 year warranty that are expired. I would have a hard decision if I where looking for a new rod and at this point of my life I'd be e-mailing Steve to price a custom rod.

Went to Orvis in Marlton NJ today only spent 55.00 on materials but when I came in they knew me. Also asked About the rod and if I liked it or not. I am thrilled with it as well as with the guarentee/warranty. Never hounded nor do they pressure sales to me or any I saw in store. That means a lot but if you have a question they are there and are knowledgeable in Marlton. Can't say all stores are the same but happy with mine and the products.

The definition is flawed.

A bamboo rod built and planed from culms and assembled by a skilled craftsman and rightfully costing lots of $ is not a "pole" by anyone's definition!

It is arguable that the latest high dollar whiz bang rod made of synthetics even with top end fittings is potentially readily assembled by anyone with fairly decent skills and thus it rides in a gray area where the great unwashed can get away with calling them "poles". But "pole" will not be used by those that make, appreciate, and buy the top end rods and those who lust after their design, finish, an performance features w/o hope of ever owning one.

The premise that any rod can do anything a top end fly rod can do is laughable on its face. Many -- most?-- will not progress in or even stay with the sport w/o improving over entry level equipment. Good old Dad and Gramps fished in different times with trout that rarely saw an artificial or competition from hordes on the stream. Its a different game now.

Rocco

Your premise that a trout has a memory is interesting, not true but it's an interesting concept. I like to look at fishing in its most simplistic form. I've never met a rod I could not cast. I guess I'm fortunate in that I never thought I needed a wiz bang rod from a top manufacturer to be able to cast better or catch a fish, even a trout. Once the cast is made and your line, leader and fly are in the water I like to know how an expensive rod outperforms an entry level rod in a natural drag free drift. If you can cast you can cast any rod. If you can fish you can catch any fish, even trout. The biggest thing I've seen change in fishing is this perception that one needs lots of high end gear in every color to be successful. knowledge and experience cannot be replaced by spending more money on the next new thing.

I have nothing against people buying and using high end stuff. Some people like that kind of stuff and more power to them. I do have an issue with those who convince others that high end will make them cast better and catch more and bigger fish. To suggest those with entry level or cheap gear are a work in progress or doomed to never improving is nothing short of elitism.

Poopdeck,

None of the rods I that I now use most often cost more than $300-400 so my elitism is somewhat limited to higher quality, mid cost range, rods -- true, not top dollar but also not poles.

None of the rods I started with 50 years ago have their dust blankets much disturbed anymore -- except as giveaways to kids and other nubees -- because the newer rods I now have do the job better than the startups ever did and with much less frustration. Moreover, most are 'purpose' even niche rods -- for midging, nymphing, streamers. bass, streelhead etc. -- with specific characteristics that enhance my efficiency, effectiveness, and enjoyment of the fishing at hand. A golf bag with one old club isn't for me.

Rocco

I am so glad my White River green Cricket Fly Rod ($39.00) is a high end rod !!! It MUST be, since I have now been fly fishing for almost 50 years using rods just like it.

Oh, and it's a good thing my $59.00 Bugger Combo is a high end rod/reel, otherwise, I might not be able to reach those 40 to 60 foot distances I am routinely casting to from the boat !!!

I honestly don't know why anyone has a problem spending for latest tech for the flex and durability. I'm confident my 5 wt superfine can easily pull in more pounds than an antique 39.00 rod and if mine breaks I get it fixed or replaced for 25 years. It's not cheap now as rods start above 100.00 and doesn't come close to the finesse. Flame as much as you want but in the end that antique won't out perform a modern and it won't get repair replaced when you break it.

Seeing as you dated yourself mikechell you may be interested in flaming me on vise. Current is renzeti 2000 pedestal. Buying a regal same set up. Not a pair of vise grips as you seem to be a cheap ole fart that thinks your antiques are comparable. Before you flame maybe you should try or research. Your completely off base and wrong.