Fly Tying
Tom Cummings

Going to spend 500.00 on a pole. Orvis or llbean brand. Opinions pls

I been researching and watching vids on YouTube and the feild is pretty even though the superfine carbon from orvis does seem to like overweight in the 9 ft rod and the feel from all testimonies say that it is far better than others. Testimonies on YouTube can be iffy as that could also come from someone trying to get a sale. Hence I asked here and orvis in us has been far better for me than others. They also want me to try before buy unlike 'll bean.

I own two 5wt rods - both TFO and under $300. A TFO BVK 905 and a TFO PRO II 865. Both have strong points with the BVK being a faster action. I have to add that neither is in a league with my 8wt Helios 2 or even my 10 wt Recon from Orvis. Not always the case but you usually get what you pay for. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Silly question

No info given at all... trout,warm water,cold water,salt water...species...etc etc

It's like asking "I need a car what should I buy?"

Edit: And yes it's a rod not a pole like others mentioned. If I said that back in my day I'd be sitting back at camp as not allowed to fish with the rest of the group that day

The only ORVIS rods I own come from an annual local sale of DEMOs and outdated models for about a third of the MSRP. And this about right, as in my experience they do not keep a backlog of inventory long after the new models and prices arrive. After a few years you cannot count on ORViS to have replacement rods and spare spools and parts for the reels that they not so long ago hyped and priced as the best ever.

IMHO they are just what they appear to be a clothing/knick-knack purveyor with fly fishing in the back.

Rocco

I'm definately not into high end equipment. My favorite rod is a Cabela's Three Forks three weight. It only cost me about $50 bucks on sale (I don't know if they sell them anymore) but it suits my casting style to a T. I have other more expensive rods that I find don't suit me. Before you drop a lot of money try as many rods as

you can try. An Orvis warranty is nice but I don't think I want to pay $450 bucks for it

Les

The only ORVIS rods I own come from an annual local sale of DEMOs and outdated models for about a third of the MSRP. And this about right, as in my experience they do not keep a backlog of inventory long after the new models and prices arrive. After a few years you cannot count on ORViS to have replacement rods and spare spools and parts for the reels that they not so long ago hyped and priced as the best ever.

IMHO they are just what they appear to be a clothing/knick-knack purveyor with fly fishing in the back.

Rocco

I agree completely. I'm not happy about availability of spare spools for the old style Mirage and Hydros reels. Heck they have only been out of production a couple of years.

Steve could build you a vey nice rod of very nice blank for that price, I own one of his built to my choice of colors guides reel seat grip and wraps on my choice of blank it looks great and works flawlessly.

I have a 3 piece 6 wt that Steve built for me a few years ago.I think it cost me 175.00 and is just as good or if not better than anything that Orvis or LL Bean offer for 500.00. It compares in quality of build to my 6wt Sage though it is a little softer action and that is what I wanted. Through him you can pick the type grip,action,rod length.guides, colour of the wrapps etc. for 5 bills that would be the way I would go. As for Orvis I own one of their Mid arbor Battenkill reels and they dont offer spare spools for it anymore and they dont handle that model reel in a mid arbor anymore. Kinda sucks.

Tube

I looked into Steve's site and with that said the guarantee is almost the same and uses boxed rod blanks plus an additional guide. In the end it isn't for me as I intend to be in the water this weekend not in 2 weeks.

I posted in beginners section because I intend to be able to fish ponds, lakes, rivers, creeks, and streams for a very diverse catch and not for just one specific catch and instance.

I did oops the title of post and appreciate the ribbing and correction for that oops. In good nature I expected that and have no problems. I also appreciate all the opinions and suggestions given and at a later date when work slows up i will take the time to do an order with Steve.

With this said I appreciate all positive and helpful post but one person made a purely ignorant and malicious post that shows why many really get turned away from a relaxing hobby and sport. That individual may have had a bad day but if you have nothing positive to say or contribute the say and contribute nothing and let the person progress rather than turning a person away. Engage brain before mouth or as in this case fingers.

Thanks again and I have decided to go with orvis superfine carbon 9 ft 5 wt as it looks to have the more diversable and forgiving aspects with far better wind casting ability than my starter rod/reel combo.

I'm definately not into high end equipment. My favorite rod is a Cabela's Three Forks three weight. It only cost me about $50 bucks on sale (I don't know if they sell them anymore) but it suits my casting style to a T. I have other more expensive rods that I find don't suit me. Before you drop a lot of money try as many rods as

you can try. An Orvis warranty is nice but I don't think I want to pay $450 bucks for it

Les

I agree. I picked up a three forks 4wt, the cabekas brand 4wt line/backing, and a wind river reel for under $100 and other than my Midwest custom rod, it's my favorite I've ever had. Casts like a dream, handles fish well, and is even 4pcs so I can travel with it in my suitcase.

I build my own rods since I prefer a slow to moderate action rod and I have a peculiar taste in the guides I use. The only rod I ever brought was 4 piece 8 wgt from Cabela's I needed in a hurry for a work trip to Guam. I was impressed with it and now, years later, I'm getting ready to replace the guides with my preferred guides. The shop I frequent is an Orvis dealer, about an hour or so from you Tom on the PA side of the Delaware. I had a chance to cast the Orvis super fine about month ago, the same rod you're planning to buy, and it's a very nice rod. Might be light for large bass or chain pickerel. I've always gotten good service from the shop with Orvis products I've brought there, they've replaced a couple of pair waders over the years with no questions asked. They were unable to get me another spare spool for my Battenkill III mid-Arbor because Orvis had discontinued it. Good fishing with your new rod.

Thank you Philly. I work long and hard with 1/2 my days away from home. When I get a chance I do like to get the line wet. As of late though the winds has prevented me from that. The Orvis dealer I use is in Marlton NJ and even though my initial fly rod and reel came from 'LL Bean next to them they have been more than happy to work with me on it. To me that says they do appreciate your business and will do what it takes to keep it. 'LL Bean did not offer the try before buy whereas Orvis insist I try and try multi line wt to get the most out of investment. This will be my 2nd fly rod setup and I do have another reel from Orvise already and strung with 5 at as it is much better than the 'LL Bean setup I have.

Thank you again and enjoy the day and hopefully weekend as well.

I am like Philly, preferring a more moderate action (I build my own too), and I also think you'll like that superfine. Of all the Orvis rod lines it's about my favorite.