Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Monk57

Spike fly

The late author/fly fisherman/tier, Ian Colin James, refers to a fly in his book "Fumbling With a Flyrod" that he calls "Spike". He even gives you a list of materials in the appendix of the book. He does not provide a picture and I cannnot find one searching the internet. Its primarily spun deer hair and hackle and likely looks similar to a cicada pattern Does anyone have a picture of this bug? I would like to tie it.

There are a bunch of his flies on the internet but nothing specifically called the spike. Is it possible to list the materials and give an idea of what category of fly it fits into?

i,ve seen this before..these fly fishing writers always seem to have a special killer fly but they don,t give any detail about it..your lucky you got a material list which may be some feathers from a parrot hidden deep in the amazon jungle. lol.

Here are the materials for "Spike".

Hook: Mustad 3366 Size 2

Body: Spun and clipped natural deer hair

Hackle: one or two natural red or black rooster palmered

Legs: 4 or six white rubber

Primarily a smallmouth bass fly but can be used for salmon, steelhead, pike and probably any toothy critter.

$.02

If I wanted to duplicate the fly from the description it would look like this but leave the front and back hair off and as you do the deer hair tie in the 4-6 white rubber legs spaced along the sides then trim the desired size of the deer body hair careful not to cut the legs. Put it back in the vise and bring the palmer hackle which would be put on first at the tail dodging the rubber legs as the hackle is wound forward and finish...hope this makes sense. Seems to be dry since no mention of weighting...Oak Orchard = steelhead?

IMG_1100.png

Lotta chenille stuff weighted like that around to get down so must want a floater.....

IMG_1101.jpg

The top photo looks like a mooseturd, except the moose turd doesn't have a palmered hackle and is black.