Fly Tying

Wooly Buggers are one of the most popular and effective streamer flies ever created. Very versatile, and relatively easy to tie. I created this articulated version to be able to fish larger fish. A good baitfish imitation.

They work for just about every fish species. From bass, to trout, to even saltwater fish species. All have been caught on a wooly bugger.

Hooks: Gamakatsu B10S in sizes 2 and 6
Weight: .025 lead wire
Head: 4mm Black Cone Head
Tails: White Bugger Marabou
Flash: Silver Krystal Flash
Wire: Small Ultra Wire - Silver
Body Wrap: White Bugger Chenille
Hackle: Grizzly Saddle Hackle.

Just left Orvise before I saw this. I have all but that size of hooks so I think I will do some that's smaller. Looks great. Well done on video and tie.

Just left Orvise before I saw this. I have all but that size of hooks so I think I will do some that's smaller. Looks great. Well done on video and tie.

Thank you, you know you could probably use a different size hook. Just depending on the size of fly you're looking to tie... any size stinger hook could do and for the front hook you could go smaller or larger as long as there's a long enough shaft to wrap the hackle.

A size 4 or even 6 main hook should do fine, I use those sizes tied on nymph hooks, streamer hooks, even bait hooks. Though they aren't articulated they could be just as well. I tie one for my wife specifically on generally a size 4 hook with a big plume of a tail on it, because that's what she wants, and son of a gun if she doesn't get the big fish too. Hmmm, how about a Woolie Bugger tube fly ?! What an awesome thought ( probably been done but who cares)..

Straight woolies swim fine too though, I'm not catching the need to make them articulated, though I enjoyed the video.

No need for the front hook on the articulated flies depending on size. That, or no need for the back hook. I use stainless spinner bait wire for front or rear of articulated ties depending on size of fly. When you get into flies like the Hog Snare where you have front hook, hinged section as long as the front hook, the a rear hook behind that you might be getting big enough to use two hooks, which I do, but for single articulation seems like an extra results in more tangles with no more hookups.

I've been tying some articulated nymphs with some x-small wires for nymphs that look good. If they will catch anymore fish I won't know until next month or Oct. but sure look good.