Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

lamson

Looks like a reinvention of something Sage tried a few years ago with their Center Axis series but discontinued. I'd be curious how different it would feel to have to play a big fish on the reel. The reel is only raised a couple of inches but that can be a huge difference since normally the entire crank is beow the rod. Seems like it would be awkward but I could be wrong

The Lamson design is an improvement. Note the the butt extension on the Lampson reel that protects the rim of the reel from scratches when the rod/reel are proppped up on the ground against the car, fence, post, tree, etc.

Not so with the Sage design. The rear of the sage reel spool gets scratched up.

However, I would not buy a rod that could only be used with a certain reel or a reel that can be used only with at certain type of rod. Rod's improve and there is notguarantee that future rods would be made that can be used with the Lamson reel. Future compatibility is a huge issue.

86872137.jpg

6cae3565.jpg

1) Great marketing ploy: Here's a rod you can only buy our reels for. Once you start, you have to buy more!

2) I take three to 6 rods on the boat with me. Each one with a different fly/presentation, some are different weights. Depending on which rods I take with me, half or more have automatic reels on them. (I never fight a fish "on the reel") I switch back and forth regularly, and have never noticed a balance issue. When I am fishing, I really don't "think about" the rod and reel at all. I am concentrating on the water and what I am casting at.

I'm waiting for them to promulgate "all the benefits" of a reel that has the line

coming out closer to the rod. Once the ground swell catches on, fly fishing and

fly casting will be forever changed.

How on earth have we survived this far?

I learned to put forward decent casts with crappy tecnique and crappy gear.

Adding decent gear can only result in crappy casts, because crappy tecnique ain't changing.

The IDEA itself could be done in much the same way with a modification of the reel food attachment so that the reel would fit any rod. But that would defeat the purpose of selling their system. I have seen many old reels that were mounted horizontally UNDER the rod. These designs put the center of mass much closer to the axis of the rod, and would allow one to use the reel on any rod. Many of the old automatic reels were mounted this way.

My biggest issue with shit like this is....how the hell is moving the reel 3-4" vertically supposed to make such a great difference in "balance" when the main balance is tip to butt of the rod (horizontal) and that's asumming the rod never leaves horizontal (still pointless) not 4" vertically, especially when the rod is going in such variances in both vertical & horizontal planes. Just another example of a company coming up with some crazy terms/ideas to make consumers think they are ahead of the rest of the sellers of said product.

Reminds me of an article last year in Tom Kirkman's Rodmaker Magazine which most us builders get. It spoke about how all these new terms about how great the "new materials" in graphite rods were so great for (X) manufacture(wont say the company name but your can guess) In the article they had terms with a number next to each term, in two columns. And (jokingly) it said "roll the dice and get the term for this year's advancement for your rod company". So you rolled a 3 and a 5....3 from column 1 is "Advanced modules placement"...and 5 from column 2 was "propitiatory x3 technology". So, if it were my company, my new ad for 2018 would be.....The new Midwest Custom Fly Rods 9ft 8wt with Advanced modules placement built on the highest propitiatory x3 technology! Makes ya want to buy one right? lol.

Just so much bullshit in the industry.

Now...I just have to figure out a line that will only cast on a MCFR rod lol

Steve, I think the goal for you would be "Finally here's a rod from MCFR that will cast any line with precision". No more hassles of trying to find that right line for your fickle fly flinger. "This rod does it ALL"!

Oh wait...Haven't I already heard that somewhere before?