Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
1hook

Whole Rabbit Skins?

I'm wanting to buy some whole rabbit skins for cutting into strips/dubbing blends.

Two questions

1. Does anyone know a good source? I've done some google searches, best buy I have found is 10 bucks a hide which seems reasonable but they didn't have a lot of colors which leads me to my second questions

2. How easy is it to dye a white skin to get your desired color. I have not dyed anything before

I would prefer to not have to dye if I could find some good colors on a whole skin for reasonable

I've seen rabbit skins in natural and white at Hobby Lobby. Lòok in the leather working area. No idea on the price.

I've NO idea how their prices are but I've always been curious about these folks - http://www.chichesterinc.com/products.htm#A1

Certainly looks like they have a great variety - but like I've stated - I have NOOOO idea how their prices are. If you check them out, maybe you can share this info.

BCT

Oh, that's a great site! I could spend a lot of time and money, mostly money, at that site.

Wow that's a great resource, another thumbs up on the hobby lobby, didn't think of that will check mine out

Be a bit cautious about rabbit skins since there's a good number of low cost skins - that don't work out very well for fly tying... They look nice, are easy to strip - but after one use on the water they deteriorate badly (another of those ask me how I know propositions...). If the shop you deal with stocks Wapsi materials have them quote you a price on whole or half skins dyed in your color of choice (or just use natural colors). You'll pay a bit more but get a much better product....

Not so long ago I picked up a nice white skin - did some stripping then tied up a few tarpon bunnies (as well as Swamp Rabbits - my own pattern...). A year later, brand new bunny flies would last a few casts then the tail (that all important rabbit tail) would just break off after a few casts.... Every fly I tied up with that particular low cost skin was a wasted effort - and that wasn't the first time it happened to me over the years -but I always was a slow learner....

Good quality rabbit skins aren't much money at all -considering how many bugs you can get off of one skin....

Be a bit cautious about rabbit skins since there's a good number of low cost skins...[snip]

Good quality rabbit skins aren't much money at all -considering how many bugs you can get off of one skin....

Have wondered about that, and Capt. Lemay offers some good advice. The site Bellevue trout mentioned has "re-chromed" skins for example, a tanning process which whitens the skins as well as makes them more durable for dyeing. From the description, without this additional process, a skin is not likely to survive the hot dye bath well. Something else to take into consideration.

Thanks for the advise guys, I visited two of my local shops today and neither had whole skins...did end up buying some precut strips, that will get me by for now

Try Thierault flies in Maine. You'll have to google and call. They raise a lot of their own stuff. Peterjay, member on here, recommended them. Fine folks. Only deal by phone.

Maybe a bit late to conversation but I've had excellent luck with Coffin Creek Furs out of Iowa. He does a really nice job on all his skins and very cost effective.

Maybe a bit late to conversation but I've had excellent luck with Coffin Creek Furs out of Iowa. He does a really nice job on all his skins and very cost effective.

I've dealt with Coffin Creek and I've never been disappointed.