Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Hurricane Irma

Well so the word is that Irma is currently a category 5. I was very little but I remember when Andrew (or was it Wilma) came through (been in Solo my whole life) and it was scary. Just remember being with my mom and sister in the bathtub and everything shaking and getting really loud. Not sure if any of you were here but you get the idea..

Really hoping it dies down some, I have many friends who don't exactly have a fat wallet and a severely damaged home will be catastrophic to them and their families. Also to Cast Bob I hope you will be safe as well as your skiff since I know you rely on it for your livelihood.

I'll be posting updates as it goes along but hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Flats

Andrew was in 1992, I remember it all too well, we were only a few miles north of the eye. Dang thing just sat on Miami for hours. We finally went outside around dawn with the wins settling down to the 40's or so and my neighborhood looked like a war zone. I've been through several hurricanes since and they all seemed like thunderstorms after Andrew. Hopefully this one dodges the islands, veers north and just dissipates over the Atlantic, it looks real bad right now.

Wish all of you well and I hope Irma tracks north and east out to sea. Please take this one seriously and prepare or evacuate . I have been thru a few up north in New England growing up and provided humanitarian relief, disaster recovery after others as a Navy Seabee. The southern storms feed by warmer water are always worst.

I'm staying. Going to ride this one out with my So Flo peeps and heading to the fly shop tomorrow to help them board up. If it gets bad, we'll go to a shelter. Good luck to all

I remember stories of people who fled from a storm predicted to strike Louisiana to Florida only to have the storm hit them in Florida. If you flee, go INLAND! There have been storms which hit Louisiana which caused power outages into south Arkansas.

When you are in South Florida there is a lot of "upland" to go before you find true inland. And you still can get hit anywhere along the way. Not worth it in my opinion.

The storm surge wall on the East side of a Cat 5 Hurricane is to be respected. The storm surge of Katrina at Pass Christian, Mississippi was measured at 27.8 feet.

post-11380-0-34569100-1504702664_thumb.jpg

post-11380-0-19155500-1504702713_thumb.jpg

post-11380-0-39222300-1504702802_thumb.jpg

I'm fortunate to live in an area that has very little threat from hurricanes, tornados, floods, earthquakes and any other natural disaster. I would pack the family up, hitch the boat up and roll out of Florida without hesitation. Let's hope it changes course. Good luck to all those who stay.

Still staying, going to grind this one out. About to get the house ready with the birth givers. Good luck to all and remember, we are humans and not savages. Don't go around looting because you are worse than the storm itself

Good luck guys and hopefully this wasn't my last post on here haha

We have a big shipping container in the yard we use for storage. Turning it into a shelter now and have 3 families of relatives from S and Central Fl coming up to stay with us. We (SE Ga) are expecting to be hit pretty hard, but hopefully on the W or NW side of the hurricane. Thoughts and prayers with y'all that are staying down there. Be careful.

Good luck to all y'all Floridians!Prayers your way!