Fly Tying
dflanagan

September flies from the vise

Been tying some of these for a give away on another board. Crackelback, Red Ass Kelso, parachute Purple Haze, beaded Soft Hackle.

DSC01805_zpspeklzg15.jpg
DSC01806_zpssfdbszrc.jpg

Recent swarm of flying ants prompted me to more closely create them. This is a size 16.

Nice! Last night it seemed like all the fish in the lake I was fishing were eating flying ants. They were everywhere. Wish I had brought some along.

I tried the traditional flying ant versus mine in 3 lakes tonight. Both was killer but mine also pulled more fish that is picky. Hackle mid body is not what an ant has. 16 to 20 is what I find works 2XL dry hook dry fly black dubbing now legs and antenna is 4X tippet wings is from wooly bugger pack the smaller the better and size legs wings and antenna to hook length that you wrap. About full body in size

I like your ant Tom, definately a fall favorite. Similarily, I've also seen them tied in a rust brown color. The color to match the hatch