Fly Tying
dflanagan

Classic wet fly swap

Thanks Flytire, I also found a series of posts from a few years back from you and others helping with tying a similar wing on the professor. You provided a link to some Don Bastion materials that were realty helpful

cb27

Wish my hand was good enough to get in on a classic swap like this!Make sure there's lots of pictures!I would have done a leadwing coachman

Looks great, chugbug27! Just 12. One for each person other than yourself.

I'll PM the address. Kinda dropped the ball. Meant to send an address to everyone but it's been crazy lately and I forgot about it.

Still haven't decided on a pattern. Got a few I'm thinking about but I tried to get a little practice tonight after the kids went to bed. Needs work but it's close to what I'm going for.

post-59660-0-50738500-1505533199_thumb.jpg

Still haven't decided on a pattern. Got a few I'm thinking about but I tried to get a little practice tonight after the kids went to bed. Needs work but it's close to what I'm going for.

Would be glad to have one of those dflan.IMG_2600.JPG

Here is prototype 1 for the Gray Hackle Yellow, on size 14 ring eye. Used gray-brown hackle, as we are having a local hatch of brownish Mayflies over last few days

wmw4, you're right about the ribbing. I have some superfine holo from Veesus that would work or just use silver wire. A couple of nit picking mentions and ones I struggle with are getting more taper in the body from back to front. I start my wets by wrapping approx. a 1/3 down hook, then back up, then down 2/3 and back to front, then tight touching wraps back to tail to start the fly with either tail or tag. Your beard could be a bit shorter coming just to hook point. I'd happily throw yours at fish with a minor tinsel change though.

Good Morning All,

Earlier in this thread, a couple of people inquired about what hook sizes are best for this type of fly. Since this is something I've wondered about myself--and since only one person responded to the question in this thread--I took the liberty of doing some Googling this morning, and ran across this thread from a few years back on a different forum, classicflytying.com. I found it helpful, and decided to post it here in case anyone else is still wondering about hook sizes.

www.classicflytying.com/?showtopic=17270

Thanks for that link, Bryon. I looked around but never came across that thread. Good info there.

I ended up using a size 8 hook. Got them finished last night and, with so much time left, I think I might try to knock out another set of something a bit fancier.