Fly Tying

Lets be honest, most people think of egg patterns as "not real flies". While that may be true, no one can argue that they aren't effective. There are times of the year, and certain fisheries that eggs can be one of the best flies you can use. Use it as an attractor, and at times you can use it as your main fly.

While eggs aren't prestigious, or fancy, they will catch fish. So give them a try if you haven't before. The nice thing is, they are so easy to tie, you can tie 30+ an hour. Sit down, grab a drink, and tie them up in whatever colors you want. Load up a box, and you will be good for a few weeks of fishing!
Hook: Umpqua U202 in size 18
Thread: UTC Ultra Thread 70 in red
Fiber: Glo Bugs Yarn in "egg" color
UV Resin: Solarez "Bone Dry"

There is only one egg pattern for me, Jeff Blood's Blood Dot.

That's a nice one for sure, just takes a bit longer to tie... also, not sure it would work out my way, most of the time we are fishing size 18-22 sized eggs, tough to tie that one on small hooks... these are super quick, and decently effective. Good for filling boxes quickly. Not the prettiest, but quick...

Nice video per usual McFly! I will have to try these out, never have fished an egg pattern. I

Keep up the awesome vids! You are a inspiration to the tying video community.

One question about your videos, do you do the 'commentary' live while you're tying or after the fact? I havn't tried either but I think talking with the video allows for more instructions to be delivered.

Nice video per usual McFly! I will have to try these out, never have fished an egg pattern. I

Keep up the awesome vids! You are a inspiration to the tying video community.

One question about your videos, do you do the 'commentary' live while you're tying or after the fact? I havn't tried either but I think talking with the video allows for more instructions to be delivered.

Thank you, nice of you to say. For my voice overs, the instruction is after for several reasons.

1-I have a 3 year old, and he is loud. I used to talk to the camera while filming and I had to tie 10+ flies on camera before I got a take without screaming.

2-I tend to ramble on while talking/tying. If I don't write down what I'm gonna say first, I speak too much, then I'm sitting not tying and still talking. So my videos ended up being 2-3 times as long as they are now, and I like to keep them as simple as possible.

3-it's soooo much easier. Allows me to focus on the tie, then worry about how to explain the tie later.

4-I find my voice over videos do way better in views than when I just chat to the camera. Not sure why, but they do.

5-I'm not as skilled, or as eloquent as Davey McPhail, so me chatting at the camera while tying just ends up annoying. Haha.

So anyway, glad you liked it, thanks again.