Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
swampsinger

medium vs fast action

Swampsinger,

I can't add much more to this topic than has already been stated but here's my perspective.

Stick with your medium action rod. Remember that it's not the rod but the caster that counts. I would suggest spending your hard-earned money on the finest instruction you can find than a new rod.

You could attend Joan Wulff's casting school, for instance, for about the same money as a high-end graphite rod. After her casting school you'll find that you can pick up virtually any rod and cast it well. In the long-run, it's about becoming a better caster and fisherman not who has the most toys.

BTW, when I attended Joan's school she was well in to her 80's and could still pick up just about any rod and with two loading casts cast an entire line off a reel with the backing showing. She could also hit a teacup at 50 feet. She's maybe 5' 4" tall and a slender woman yet she can cast as well as a man who is twice her size. It's the caster not the rod.

I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned how a slower medium action rod can "protect" your tippet. Fast action rods, all the rage it seems are rough on the tippet when you get a big fish on a light tippet. The tip just doesn't "give" enough. IMHO of course

Slower rods, faster rods. Fly casters want to try other actions. There is a concurrent thread right now on NAFFF by a poster having difficulty when he tried casting a slower action fiber glass fly rod. You will see a post that again states loops will be wider with a slower fly rod which is the same as saying loops will be tighter with a faster rod. Later Hirdy's says that if you cast with the same pace and rod stroke as with a faster fly rod, you will cast a tailing loop which is an overly tight closed loop. So two posters with opposite opinions. So who is right. Hirdy is right. A closed loop result from too fast an acceleration which is the tendency of those who move from a fast action to a slow action fly rod.. You can cast open wide loops, tight loops, or closed tailing loops with any fly rod.

For those who are interested, here is that thread; https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/422970-fiberglass-rod-casting.html

I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned how a slower medium action rod can "protect" your tippet. Fast action rods, all the rage it seems are rough on the tippet when you get a big fish on a light tippet. The tip just doesn't "give" enough. IMHO of course

You must have missed when I posted that, "The rod is still a fast action rod with a fast action design that is less able to protect the tippet." See the next to last post on previous page.

My two cents relates to a different kind of common sense.

The lighter weight rods in medium action +or- tend to work well in fresh water stream conditions for smaller trout while using very light tippets. Going to larger brutes as in most salt species the faster action rods are preferred for both quick strip striking and windy conditions and not using the rod to stick the fish. Most salty fish will spit the fly before a medium action rod will bury the point home just using the rod to strike. I said MOST salt fish for those who tend to not read things closely. Some will slam it and run before &%#@ you knew what happened.

All my lighter rods are true buggy whips and my salt stuff will sweep the floor, a couple more than others.

I primarily fish for bass I prefer a fast action rod even if over lined for the reasons salty mentioned, only reason I don't mind being over lined is I often don't have much room to cast and over lineing weeks better for me if I can only get 15 ft of line out behind me.

You must have missed when I posted that, "The rod is still a fast action rod with a fast action design that is less able to protect the tippet." See the next to last post on previous page.

Guess I did miss it. Thanks

I fish graphite, fiberglass and bamboo and can cast a wide or tight loop with any rod, including bamboo. It's all about the load, mechanics and timing. It isn't just the rod although the rod can help. The type of rod is not as important when the mechanics are right.

For many casters though, yes, a faster rod will help drive tighter loops, but, if you spend the money on good instruction, rather than a new rod, you'll be amazed at what you can do with any rod.

Only "crappy coffee" will do for the pickiest drinker !!!

"It has been produced from the coffee beans which have been digested by a certain Indonesian cat-like animal called then palm civet or also civet cat. This is the reason kopi luwak is also called cat poop coffee or civet cat coffee. The feces of this cat will be collected, finished and sold as kopi luwak."

My brother worked in the coffee industry for a few years roasted beans and all that, a client brought in door cat poop coffee for him, he said it was ok but nothing special.

Slower rods, faster rods. Fly casters want to try other actions. There is a concurrent thread right now on NAFFF by a poster having difficulty when he tried casting a slower action fiber glass fly rod. You will see a post that again states loops will be wider with a slower fly rod which is the same as saying loops will be tighter with a faster rod. Later Hirdy's says that if you cast with the same pace and rod stroke as with a faster fly rod, you will cast a tailing loop which is an overly tight closed loop. So two posters with opposite opinions. So who is right. Hirdy is right. A closed loop result from too fast an acceleration which is the tendency of those who move from a fast action to a slow action fly rod.. You can cast open wide loops, tight loops, or closed tailing loops with any fly rod.

For those who are interested, here is that thread; https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-cast/422970-fiberglass-rod-casting.html

Is that link correct Silver? I couldn't get it.

My brother worked in the coffee industry for a few years roasted beans and all that, a client brought in door cat poop coffee for him, he said it was ok but nothing special.

I went back to old fashioned percolator coffee. I now have a 4 cup glass stove top we used to use for camping years ago for just myself. I bought a metal one though about three years ago, 9 cup, use it stove top or camping. Then day in and day out at home I just got a Hamilton Beach electric percolator a month ago or so.. Drip coffee is ok, consistent but it can't replicate percolator coffee that I grew up with. Only took me 30 years to figure that out and who knows how many drip machines later.

As to rods I like a medium fast or sometimes even moderate fast action for the fish fight as mentioned by another poster. That matters more locally for midge fishing than up north generally.