Fly Tying
Red Badger

Dragon Fly Pattern/Methods

I was wondering if anyone could refer me to good dragonfly nymph and hellagrammite patterns. I have tried several without much success. I was also wondering as to what method to use to fish them. Upstream/downstream...slow retrieve, short fast pulls? etc etc.

The areas where I fish are loaded with dragonfly and hellgrammite and the brook trout seem to love them early in the spring. I live on the east coast by the way. (Nova Scotia)

Not to offend anyone but I would like to have a good representative pattern rather than a realistic one.

Thanks

Bob

Fish a dark olive or dark brown wooly bugger. Make sure its weighted and has nice stiff furnace or ginger hackle palmered on it that has barbs about equal to the hook gape. Probably don't want an overly long marabou tail but enough to impart action. That should do the trick.

I'd recommend a deep drift as these things crawl on the bottom or float in the current.

Hey Red... Dragon's are one of my favourite past times. If you click on the "My Fly Patterns" link below I've got three of my favourites listed. Deer hair's a favourite material of mine for this. If you're using them in a stream, which it sounds like you are, you'll definitely want to add some weight as these patters are primarily stillwater designs. Good luck.