Fly Tying
ChumpMeat

Best Retailer for Materials

Hello all,

New to the forum and relatively new to fly tying - dabbled in it as a youngster and just taken it up again as part of a resurging interest in fishing after a 10 year lull (teenage and university years where interests somewhat differ).

Anyway, I was pleased to learn that in all that time I never lost the skills or knowledge I'd picked up, but I do need to stock up on a number of materials. So before I do so I thought I'd ask those with more experience to see if there's a retailer which stands out above the rest? Or any trustworthy site that provides good quality and good value materials?

Thanks in advance for any responses

You'll get a different answer from almost every respondent.

My recommendation is http://www.flytyersdungeon.com.

You'll get a HUGE amount of synthetic materials (and sometimes some naturals) for the money you've got in a coin jar.

You can pick and chose more exotic or expensive materials, but you can't beat FTD for tons of synthetics.

And welcome to the site!

+1 on Fly Tyer's Dungeon for synthetics. Great selection and literally unbeatable prices.

I'm assuming you don't have a local brick-and-mortar fly tackle retailer, since you're asking about other sources. However, if you do have something local, check them out first. If they have what you need and provide good prices and service, I would say support them if you can. If, however, you are relegated to online sources...

For dry fly hackle I recommend Collins Hackle Farm (www.collinshacklefarm.com). You have to order by mail or phone, but the inconvenience (if you consider it such) is well worth it. Free saddle patch with every cape purchased, and I have found the quality to be very good. Mr. Collins is also an interesting guy to talk to. :)

For natural hair and fur in general I recommend Whitetail Fly Tieing Supplies (misspelling theirs, not mine; www.whitetailflytieing.com). I've yet to come across another retailer that can match the variety of his selection.

Specifically for deer belly hair for spinning/stacking/packing floating deer hair bass bugs, I recommend Pat Cohen's site www.rusperfly.com. His prices are reasonable, service is consistent and quality of the deer hair is consistently excellent.

For hooks, beads, dumbbell eyes, coneheads, mono eyes etc., I very highly recommend Wholesale Fly Company (www.wholesaleflycompany.com). I learned about them only recently, but since then have placed 3 orders and have found the quality of their goods, their prices and their service all to be outstanding.

For more of a "one-stop-shopping" experience, I would recommend Bear's Den (www.bearsden.com). Both Bear's Den and Wholesale Fly Co. both charge only the actual shipping cost, not a flat fee. This is a big selling point for me.

Good luck and welcome back to the....oops I almost said "fraternity" but it's not all guys anymore...welcome back! :)

Bryon

Second Mikechell on the FTD recommendation, but it would be helpful to have an idea of your intended fishing and tying in order to give you more targeted opinions.

Make that +2 on FTD. He has great stuff at good prices so you can get a lot of it. If I were you I would pick up a holiday grab bag he does in November and December for like 10 or 12 bucks and see if you like. Everyone I've talked to who has purchased from FTD has been impressed!

Almost every one who asks this question gets the same answer, but usually from a different mix of people. There are hundreds of "good" and better places to get materials and supplies. Every one gives you their favorites, and the sites they use most often. I get most all of my hooks from my local fly shop Orlando Outfitters, but thats usually salt water hooks. When I go on line, I like DreamDriftFlies.com, and JStockard. I have plenty of FTD materials as well, still using up a large collection I got in trade. They have a good selection of synthetic fibers, flash, and dubbing. No one place is the "best." Two places I avoid are BPS and Cabelas for materials. Their prices are higher than most other on-line shops, and Orlando Outfitters has better prices on better materials than the local BPS. Bass Pro just bought Cabelas, and that is going to put further strain on the little guys, and they need and deserve your support.

If you have a local shop that is where I recommend you shop for materials. Yes, prices may be a little higher, but they offer advise, service and help you cannot get on-line.

​Utyer said a truth. Deal with your Fly Shope if one is within your reach. Years back their was several more shopes about in central Fl. now Orlando Outfitters is the place to do your shopping. I have been dealing with them for some time and very happy with service and materials. Personnel are helpful and pleasant. A cut above.

knowing what country you live in, even better what state you reside in, what you fish for and what your tying goals are would help us refine our responses. Well, maybe not all of us. I've basically convinced myself that any fly shop, whether they focus on internet sales or not, that has survived till 2017 must be doing something right. Most don't have much of a retirement plan, nevermind health benefits. Oh, and welcome back. Tight wraps and even tighter lines!

i have ordered from the following shops because there is no "mother of all fly shops"

i primarily order from bears den and jstockard the most

(bears den is a 70+ mile drive from me and is my annual pilgrimage to a fly shop. i was there a couple of weeks ago)

competitive angler and performance flies are good for the european fly tying materials

ALL of them are reputable online retailers.

wFIRf5x.jpg

Here's my list... I know people say to support the local shops, but driving around here is rediculous. I get cut off every time I go out. Two accidents within the span of one year. Neither of which were my fault. Anyways,

post-52832-0-23829100-1506885492_thumb.png