Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet Jack

Cortland "MICRON" fly line backing

Does anyone out there know if this is a hollow core woven Dacron?

I'm re-doing some fly reels and need to know if this backing lets one

make a blind splice loop.

I've seen it done with 30 lb micron. I assume 20 lb would work too, but the guy that I saw demonstrating the splicing technique said it was much more difficult with the lighter stuff. I've personally never used a splice in backing, but I have in hollow braided running line and it's pretty nice.

Are you asking about a loop with a hollow 'stem ' that fits over the fly line tip 'monkey sleeve' style, or one that is formed by using a piece of backing fixed to each side of the fly line tip by a shrink tube?

Micron is very thin and would probably not be a good candidate for the former loop system. I use Cortland braided mono for these loops -- 30lb for smaller diameter fly lines and 50 lb for thicker lines. Secured by barrel knots with super glue.

Micron probably would work for the shrink tube loops but its very thin diameter might make for a 'hinge' instead of a continuous smooth energy transfer.

When I use MIcron I do it by directly attaching it to the fly line tip by means of a barrel knot.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Rocco

Rocco, woven hollow core Dacron is the backing used for decades, then came along the Spectra/Dynema zero-stretch type lines.

One can fashion a loop on the backing, using a bobbin threader and a wee jar of finely tuned elbow grease ☺

The backing is pulled back into itself with a bobbin threader, then pulled back into itself again, thus locking the loop.

Once you've done a few, it goes fast and a big plus is that the fly line loop/backing loop junction goes through the fly rod guides fairly easily. Carp can show you that connection right quick, so can a mad goose....

I've got a hunch you're bang-on regarding Cortland's Micron and it's thinness. It's hard to tell from their advertisements if it's a 'solid' woven line, or other.

Just about all dacron lines can be spliced (although they're not quite the same as "hollow core" lines which are actually designed to lay flat on when wound on a spool..). The classic method uses something like a bobbin threader, but is actually a bit simpler (and a bit longer than a bobbin threader). You just double a light piece of solid trolling wire (stainless steel leader - a good brand is always Malin's...and we generally use a #5 wire) about five or six inches long with the bend made sharp, like it was just a single piece of wire -then thread the doubled end up into the braid (starting about six inches from the end of the braid - then pulling it out about three inches short of the end).... finally working it out of the side of the braid, where you'll work it out of the braid - then pick up a loop and pull it back through... The "big game" anglers using classic dacron loaded reels will actually do two separate in and out splices on their lines for extra strength - I've never felt it was necessary on fly line backing.

The main feature of Micron is that it's a bit thinner than ordinary dacron, allowing you to load a bit more backing (this was long before super braids came along and kind made the advantage of Micron moot...). The fact that Micron has a bit thinner diameter makes it a bit more difficult to splice in the fashion noted above...

For many years I've used 20lb Micron as backing for reels for 8wt or 7wt lines - then standard 30lb dacron as backing for bigger reels. I've never felt the need for "needle" splicing on backing. Like many saltwater types I simply do a Bimini twist in the end of the backing until I have a 12" loop - then double the loop with a surgeon's knot to bring it down to about a 6" loop overall, which is mated loop to loop with the loop in the end of the fly line. By the way that six inch loop in the backing allows me to "un-loop" any fly line connection by simply passing the reel through that "six inch loop".. -pretty handy.... For what it's worth I've never found the bimini and loop to loop connections the slightest problem when fighting a big fish on fly (we routinely catch and release tarpon up to 40 lbs on very light 8wt gear - then also do the same with their big brothers -fish well over 100lbs on 11 or 12wt rods..). These kind of battles may see the backing connection going out and back through the guides with heavy pressure for over 30 minutes - or even an hour... I do my best to try and aid my anglers to be able to beat any fish we hook up in less than one hour - since the longer the fight goes on - the less chance you have of winning the fight....

I realize I'm replying to a rather old thread, but for future readers: Yes, Micron is a hollow braid, and it can be spliced, whether you want to do a blind splice loop or splice two lines of different colors. The 30-pound is easier to splice, because of the larger diameter. The 20-pound just takes a little patience. A good splicing needle also helps.

Re-read this post - then my own contribution to it... was surprised that it held up so well years later... Thanks for bringing it back...

One thing I didn't mention before does need to be said though... Some of my anglers who bring their own gear down to my area show up with line connections that are less than satisfactory (even ones their local fly shop has done for them... My standard test is to take the line on each side of any connection with a double wrap for each hand then slowly pull the knot, splice, or loop so tight across my chest that my hands are hurting... A lot of knots fail that test... Just something to consider when you're going after that fish of a lifetime that can really pull on your gear (something I doubt most freshwater anglers ever consider...).

"Be a hero.... take a kid fishing" 

I use Gudebrod  20#(5 and 6 wgt reels) and 50#(8 wgt) as backing on my reels.  Basically, it's the line we used on our Penn Internationals for in-shore and off-shore trolling. The large spools we brought to spool our reels came with the splicing needle and instructions on how to make the splice loop.   80% of my fly fishing is in fresh water.  I've never seen the backing on any of my reels, either in fresh or salt water,  but I know that loop isn't going to break if I ever get there.