Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Current events

True but no more rock HOF worthy than LL. If 3 or 4 okay years qualify you for HOF status then the HOF is not really a high water mark. Seems they ran out of rockers to induct.

I'm with Steeldrifter and Bimini on the question of LL in the RRHOF. He's not a rock artist, period. The quality of his Hip Hop/Rap art doesn't even enter into the question, in my mind. It's about genre. (For the record, I don't think Cheap Trick should be in there, either, but they are at least a rock band, as Steve pointed out.)

As far as the Boy Scouts letting girls join -- I'm cool with that, except I think they should change the name of the organization so that it doesn't denote gender at all. No "Boy", no "Girl", just scouts. I've always thought it was dumb that they were separated anyway. However, I'm on the verge of stirring a whole different pot now, so I'll leave it at that. :)

I think we can talk about the whole Boy Scout thing without getting too political. Far as that goes I think letting girls into boy scouts is just ridiculous. Girls already have a group, called umm what was it now, oh yeah GIRL Scouts lol.

Seriously this society is imploding more and more every day IMO. Some people seem to be wanting a unisex society. Some things are best done with certain groups, such as boys in boy scouts and girls in girl scouts. That way they can do things with like minded kids of their own age and sex.

Seems to me we have went directly from the greatest generation alive right to the worst generation. At this rate 20 yrs from now we'll all be a unisex society wearing white jumpsuits and not being able to speak or interact with others for fear of offending someone. Just sad to see the direction society is going lately.

I'm with Steeldrifter and Bimini on the question of LL in the RRHOF. He's not a rock artist, period. The quality of his Hip Hop/Rap art doesn't even enter into the question, in my mind. It's about genre. (For the record, I don't think Cheap Trick should be in there, either, but they are at least a rock band, as Steve pointed out.)

there is no 'ROCK' category to be inducted in the hall of fame

https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process

i guess ray charles, aretha franklin, stevie wonder, billy holiday, blues, country, soul artists etc will have to return their awards

there is no 'ROCK' category to be inducted in the hall of fame

Okay I'll say it one last time then I'm done because I don't feel like beating my head against a wall anymore....The whole thing is a Rock category. It's right in the title of the institution The Rock and Roll hall of fame. Most the ones you mentioned ....Stevie Wonder/Ray Charles/Aretha Franklin etc etc had songs that were not just R&B but some that were also considered Rock & Roll back in the day. Country artist have the Country Music hall of fame, so correct they should not be in the Rock hall of fame either.

Jeez guys I swear, I really feel like you could make a post these days on the internet saying the sky is blue and some people would come back saying..."Well, not really, it's actually kind'a aqua, maybe a hint of white, but not blue" lol. Ahhh yes, the internet!

Jeez guys I swear, I really feel like you could make a post these days on the internet saying the sky is blue and some people would come back saying..."Well, not really, it's actually kind'a aqua, maybe a hint of white, but not blue" lol. Ahhh yes, the internet!

To be fair... it really has no color. It just the reflection of the sunlight on the atmosphere that makes it look blue... most of the time... :D

Re: Rock Hall -- Thanks for that link, Flytire, I stand corrected. :)

Re: Scouts -- As the parent of a transgender child, I have spent the last year and a half learning a lot about the chemistry and biology of the human developmental process, and I agree with the scientists who have concluded that this thing we call "gender" is --much like the thing we call "race" -- an abstract human psychological construct and not an actual fact-based phenomenon; at least not in the way our society, in its limited and biased view, has traditionally thought about it. That is to say, gender is not binary; it is not a hard-and-fast male/female distinction. If you look at the science that's out there, we've actually known for quite a long time that what we call (again, for lack of a better term) gender is actually a continuum of traits and characteristics that are extremely fluid from one individual to another.

For the record, I'm well aware that a lot of people will disagree with me on this, and that's their business. I wish them luck, because like it or not, our society IS, ever-so-slowly, coming to accept that, as with so many things in the past, we've been thinking about this incorrectly. Change is uncomfortable; I get that. But that doesn't mean it's wrong. And I don't think my generation (or my children's) is, by any stretch of the imagination, the "worst" one out there for embracing new ideas. Quite the contrary. The ability to adapt to changing environmental conditions is what has allowed the human species to last as long as it has, and I believe that goes for the social, emotional and intellectual realms as well as the physical.

And now, gentlemen, it's quitting time on a Friday. The weekend beckons, and I shall answer the call. :)

Cheers and Peace Everyone.

For the record, I'm well aware that a lot of people will disagree with me on this, and that's their business. I wish them luck, because like it or not, our society IS, ever-so-slowly, coming to accept that, as with so many things in the past, we've been thinking about this incorrectly. Change is uncomfortable; I get that. But that doesn't mean it's wrong.

Society accepts a lot of things these days, but that does not make it "right" either. What you call "fact" I call personal opinion. Gender is a physical thing not mental, to dispute that is simply against the laws of nature. I don't look down on anyone that mentally feels a different way than they are born, because it's their life and they are free to do as they please, but to say gender is determined based on a mental feeling is like saying your height is determined based on a mental feeling.

And don't take that the wrong way, I don't mean any insult to you, your family or anyone that feels differently. I just think what you said about being "fact" is simply an opinion. I'm going to bow out of this now simply because I don't think anymore replies about the subject of gender will do any good or change anyone's mind. We both have stated our take on the subject and we all are free to have our own opinions ;)

For the record, I'm well aware that a lot of people will disagree with me on this, and that's their business. I wish them luck, because like it or not, our society IS, ever-so-slowly, coming to accept that, as with so many things in the past, we've been thinking about this incorrectly. Change is uncomfortable; I get that. But that doesn't mean it's wrong.

Society accepts a lot of things these days, but that does not make it "right" either. What you call "fact" I call personal opinion. Gender is a physical thing not mental, to dispute that is simply against the laws of nature. I don't look down on anyone that mentally feels a different way than they are born, because it's their life and they are free to do as they please, but to say gender is determined based on a mental feeling is like saying your height is determined based on a mental feeling.

And don't take that the wrong way, I don't mean any insult to you, your family or anyone that feels differently. I just think what you said about being "fact" is simply an opinion. I'm going to bow out of this now simply because I don't think anymore replies about the subject of gender will do any good or change anyone's mind. We both have stated our take on the subject and we all are free to have our own opinions wink.png

I take no offense at your comments, Steve, and I hope it is understood that mean no offense to you or anyone else with mine.

I would lke to clarify a couple of my statements because I believe I didn't make my meaning clear. First, I should have clarified what I meant by the word "gender". I define that word the same way that the scientific community and most dictionaries do: "Either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones." Gender refers to how we express ourselves as males or females; things like the clothes we wear, the names we go by, how we wear our hair, how we configure and/or display body and facial hair, etc. It is the visible manifestation of one's own image of onself as masculine or feminine, or some combination of the two. Many people use this word interchangably with the word "sex" (as in, "What sex is the baby?"), when actually that word has a totally different definition. The OED (and many other dictionaries, including medical ones), define "sex" as "Either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and most other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions." To put it more succinctly, a person's sex simply refers to his or her reproductive apparatus (penis for men, vagina and breasts for women), while a person's gender encompasses a whole host of feelings, perceptions (of the world and one's role within it), self-expression and so on. A transgender person is one whose gender does not match his or her sex. Sex is indeed binary--it is unmistakable and irrefutable. You either have a penis or a vagina. Gender, on the other hand, is not binary. Most people--whether they talk about it or not--have characteristics and traits that society tends to associate with both of the two sexes. For example, my sex is undeniably male. I have male equipment downstairs, no question about it. However, while I have many characteristics that our society/culture deems "male" (I wear a beard, allow my body hair to grow however and wherever it pleases, wear pants but don't wear skirts or dresses, enjoy hunting and fishing and outdoorsy pursuits, etc.), I also have some characteristics that society says are female or "girly": I enjoy romantic comedies, I am sensitive to the feelings of others and don't mind talking about feelings (theirs or mine), I allow myself to openly cry when I feel sad, I am moody and often completely irrational, etc. I like and wear and decorate with pastel colors, including pink. I like flowers and beautifully wrapped gifts. I am bored beyond my ability to express it by organized sports, but I like HGTV. I could go one, but I think I've made my point. Sex is carved in stone...well, flesh. Gender is not. That's why it seems silly to me to have organizations that discriminate against half the population based on their genitalia.

I also want to quote something you said that I agree with wholeheartedly: "I don't look down on anyone that mentally feels a different way than they are born, because it's their life and they are free to do as they please." I think this is the bottom line -- let people be who they are and live as they please, as long as they're not harming anyone. Life is too short as it is, you know? smile.png

I will do it for you...

So, in the spirit of equality, are the Boy Scouts going to sell cookies now...?

LOL I wish they would--right now they just sell popcorn (around here, anyway). I much prefer the cookies. :)