Fly Tying
tctrout

International Fly Tying Symposium 2017

For those of you in the NE, the International Fly Tying Symposium will be taking place on November 11 & 12 at the Marriott in Lancaster, PA (location change from previous years). This is the premiere event for tyers, and I'm honored to be participating for my second year. I hope to see many of you @ the IFTS this November, as I know a few from this forum will be tying and attending at the show.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/flytyingsymposium/

Tim

Not what it used to be. They need to take International out of the title since it appears only 3 tyers from beyond the borders will be attending. They could have done a little better with the classes as well. Would have attended anyway but the move to Lancaster put it out of reach.

I'll be attending, don't think my club has a table this year, figured there would be less interest in a salt water fly fishing club in central PA than at Somerset, NJ. Drive from Philly to Lancaster is about the same as the drive to Somerset. I'll definitely miss the chance to tie flies in public, and talking to the folks who stop by the table.

Year's gone back when the Symposium was held in the hotel proper [not in the convention center] it seemed to have a closer friendly feel to it... Those were the DAZE !

PB211434.jpg

fullsizeoutput_14a8_zpsvl49eeab.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16d5_zpspmzauesf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d8d_zpswxmiacpl.jpeg

Then it migrated over to the Convention Center and became much less intimate... sort'a felt like WallyWorld...

fullsizeoutput_1b28_zpskeqtcska.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_eec_zpsewrhu9am.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a9d_zpse4tjmnob.jpeg

Saturday's were generally busy but Sunday afternoon evolved into a funeral wake... getting sleepier and sleepier...

Disappointingly, thank's to the lack of a crowd, venders would start packing up at 3 to better make ready for the mad dash to the door at closing...

I suspect and fear that this year's logistical changes will take a toll and put the not so International Symposium on "life support"... I hope not, but... remainstobeseen...

If I had to guess and if the recent trends continue, The Fly Fishing Show in Edison will soon claim sole survivor status and be the Last Man Standing... a GOOD show it is...!

November will tell the tale... weshallsee...

Picture4.png

I'll be teaching classes in Houston at that time.

Hope they go well!

I'll be attending, don't think my club has a table this year, figured there would be less interest in a salt water fly fishing club in central PA than at Somerset, NJ. Drive from Philly to Lancaster is about the same as the drive to Somerset. I'll definitely miss the chance to tie flies in public, and talking to the folks who stop by the table.

Sorry to hear your club isn't getting a table, as I think there will be still many into saltwater attending. If you do have a chance to tie there, let me know so I can say hi.

Tim

I'll give it one last chance, I was at a show in Lancaster a few years ago, it was small very small, when you parked in the lot we were suppose to get a discount by showing them your ticket stub, we got screwed with that the woman at the parking garage would not honor it and charged everybody full price.

New Venu should be great. Looking forward to displaying my wares and hopefully selling a ton of Bucktails. This year I will be Airbrushing Poppers using a traditional airbrush and demonstrating various ways to assemble them. I know Chuck and his staff is doing a fantastic job with the new venue and promoting it on Facebook and other placed on the web. Going to be a nice weekend. I do like the later weekend in November. See you at the show.....

I'm going to try to make it this year. The venue is about 2 hours closer than the Somerset location, but still a long drive. We'll see. I don't really need any materials, so that means I probably won't buy much over $100 worth of stuff....

wow, Lankster is right up the road from me. I will try to make it and see what all the fuss is about.

I'll be there on Saturday.

I'm thinking not much use going on Sunday as most vendors are tired and ready to jet.

I'll be there on Saturday for certain, and probably Sunday. I'm really interested in hearing Robert Smith's talk, and plus, Collins Hackle will be there so I won't need to drive all the way to North Jersey to pick through some hen sets.