Fly Tying
xterrabill

Show your bench

Got it now... was trying to post from my phone. Some forums don't like my phone. Semi organized chaos... oops... I must need a minimum number of posts to submit a photo. I'd better read up on forum rules.

stu

Welcome to the site, Stu.

No, you shouldn't need any previous posts to put a picture up here. But you do have to size them small enough. I size most of mine 600x400 or close and they get on.

I'm just starting off and this is what I have so far. Still trying to figure it out. I sure hope this isn't like golf.

post-64238-0-59069700-1548977749_thumb.jpg

When I started tying I told the wife all I would need is large tackle box. Used the replaceable trays to put materials in. My tying bench would be either a wooden TV tray or the kitchen table. I wouldn't be tying very many different flies so a lot of storage space wasn't needed.

I out grew the TV tray pretty quick. Converted an old computer desk to a tying desk. A year or so later got a bigger computer desk. All while adding plastic containers.

This eventually turned into a roll top desk with all kinds of cubby holes. The drawers and cubbies are all filled. Got a cheap six drawer lingerie chest. The only thing in it is feathers and bird pelts. I also have one of those plastic totes with wheels that is about 3 feet long and can slide under the bed. Now I am thinking what else I can do to re-organize.

I even once looked at roll top with additional hutch and a ton of storage all for $7000. My wife said if you really need it go ahead. When she said that with that much money involved I knew it was a test.

As Noahguide said, golf limits you to 14 clubs. It's amazing how this adds up. Figure what you need and increase it 10 fold. Even then you may run out of space.

I'm in the process of cleaning up and reorganizing my tying area. It's no longer FEMA disaster area.

post-309-0-43444700-1549040366_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-80039600-1549040397_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-20683300-1549040580_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-02462000-1549040611_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-33347100-1549040628_thumb.jpg

Here's mine. In return for the view over the village green and its medieval church, I'm under strict orders to keep the study tidy! The Gerstners, which house much of my material, are a very special and deeply personal gift I received many years back.

ig190204-144211-edit-edit.jpg?w=600

Those Gerstner chest are fantastic. Being a machinist those are the holy grail.

I consider myself a machinist and not a manufacturing engineer.

Here's mine. In return for the view over the village green and its medieval church, I'm under strict orders to keep the study tidy! The Gerstners, which house much of my material, are a very special and deeply personal gift I received many years back.

ig190204-144211-edit-edit.jpg?w=600

I envy you that view..........