Fly Tying
xterrabill

Show your bench

34 minutes ago, jamieofthenorth said:

Nice set-up! I'm a big fan of Darn Tough socks

Thanks. They are great socks. Santa brought me a few pairs. 

On 2/14/2021 at 2:48 PM, Charlie1947 said:

Dave that's awesome! Sorry, I hadn't made the connection! I started tying 16 yrs ago when my wife had a very rare and aggressive cancer! Tying kept me sane and got me through her terrible illness. I did lose her, but again Tying got me through it! Then a few years ago my health went very far south, I sold all my fly gear including tying stuff! Now I'm just getting back into both fishing and tying! I have most of my fishing stuff, now I'm trying to get all my tying stuff back! I guess that's why I envy all your tying materials and tying area! I decided even if I can't fish I can tie! I NEED that so much! Dave many tight lines! Stay warm and safe! Btw, where is your Home Waters?

Charlie, I'm so sorry to hear about your wife.  Losing a spouse is one of life's most stressful things to go through.  Also sorry to hear of your health problems-hope things are improving.  I'm battling some problems myself-two types of cancer, but both have stabilized as of now.

I live in mid-Missouri and fish our state trout parks some, mostly Bennett Spring.  Also fish Taneycomo some.  Don't fish as much as I used to due to getting old and some chronic back problems.  Still tie some but not as much as I used to.

Take care

On 2/16/2021 at 10:07 AM, dave said:

Charlie, I'm so sorry to hear about your wife.  Losing a spouse is one of life's most stressful things to go through.  Also sorry to hear of your health problems-hope things are improving.  I'm battling some problems myself-two types of cancer, but both have stabilized as of now.

I live in mid-Missouri and fish our state trout parks some, mostly Bennett Spring.  Also fish Taneycomo some.  Don't fish as much as I used to due to getting old and some chronic back problems.  Still tie some but not as much as I used to.

Take care

I dearly love your state! SO MUCH history! Contact me some time! I understand that gettin' old crap! I thought retiring was going to be fun, mean joke!

So, after moving to New Orleans two years ago, my fly tying bench and storage situation has been pretty dismal. Lots of stuff, growing before my eyes, no extra room to put it, yada yada. A big, sloppy, disorganized mess. With a lot of encouragement and just the right amount of help from my wife, who gets an A for tidy organization to my F, I've now got everything tucked away, totally organized, and at the ready. Drum roll...

Main station is in the corner of the bedroom.

For the tying desk I used the wash stand on the left. (Photo equipment for fly pics, empty fly boxes, and tied flies in the cabinet below.) For my tools I used the wood box you see on the nightstand. Hooks, beads, wires & tinsel are in the top drawer of the nightstand. Dubbing, yarns, extra large hooks, tailing and winging material below, with one box for transition materials and one for materials and tools I'm tying with.

Storage_1.thumb.jpg.41f83b1ebc7c314f52c0ed43fe41d19f.jpg

Storage_1a.thumb.jpg.cb7e668500a55f8410203e16d4fd5b93.jpg

Storage_1b1.thumb.jpg.f945a31e577cd72286d5e1b8766870d4.jpg

Storage_1b3.thumb.jpg.bdfb65208a467b5c85026f465606d108.jpg

Storage_1c.thumb.jpg.e2134bff6da523f9d6925e404a2bcef6.jpg

Storage_1c1.thumb.jpg.10fbaddc89185d233e6157a23ceb54f9.jpg

Under the tying desk are some decorative boxes (decorative means my wife is relatively okay with them being out), in which I've got fur in one, hair in another, etc., all still accessible while at the bench.

Storage_1e1.thumb.jpg.a7f0f7df82fa2a7ef140fb8957b6821e.jpg

Storage_1e2.thumb.jpg.cb417aea58e27ffb9ae97ec7e5c7be3a.jpg

Across the room I cleared out the bottom drawer of our dresser for feathers of all sorts and sizes.

Storage_2.thumb.jpg.3b4f834a36b82619d7f42fea7f134d3a.jpg

Storage_1d.thumb.jpg.78c7d159688e0f120db0456ca7698136.jpg

Finally, I cleared out most of a bottom cabinet in the kitchen for extras and lesser used materials (spinning deer hair, tails, dye, etc)

Storage_3.thumb.jpg.22c70f1f1441d526b8eaaaab6f559bc5.jpg

Storage_1f.thumb.jpg.1c1c350016e15c555d14a4b584336eb0.jpg

Some might call it henpecked. I'm calling it happy cohabitation. Everything easy to find, everything easy to stage for tying and then put away when done.

2 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Some might call it henpecked. I'm calling it happy cohabitation

Looks like you got the run of the bed room.  That’s amazing.   One question where did she “let” you put your clothes?😳😛

Well, "run" of it may be a stretch... My tying chair has a floral needlepoint design on the back and seat.

IMG_20210220_184007.thumb.jpg.3985f3cf93595a97a337c189a735fa68.jpg

But I definitely have plenty of room for my clothes. She told me so.

2 hours ago, Noahguide said:

Great set up fitting of the old quarter.  Nice.

I'm very happy with it, thanks

Yeah Chug, you win prettiest set up by far.  Happy wife happy life.  Be sure and vaccun when you finish.  Do you fish for Redfish ? I am originally from MS and always enjoyed NOLA.  My stepson went to Loyola.

Very elegant set up Chug!   For some reason wives seem to hate having to look at fly tying setups?  Which is probably why roll top desk are so popular 🤪

13 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Happy wife happy life. 

A hard lesson I've learned well.

3 hours ago, DFoster said:

For some reason wives seem to hate having to look at fly tying setups?

Yup, at least for some. Mine maybe moreso than most. 

13 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Do you fish for Redfish ? I am originally from MS and always enjoyed NOLA.  My stepson went to Loyola.

Not yet on the redfish. No boat, no local fishing buddies yet. Way, way too cheap to pay a guide. Thought I'd get a kayak, but too chicken to try it solo just yet. Add covid to the mix, and, well... It'll happen.

When I was 1 year old, my father interviewed for a job in Baton Rouge but took a job in Los Angeles instead. Perfect choice for him, not the shangri-la for me. I love it here. 

@chugbug27

Very nice.  Years ago before I was married to my wife I remember her turning to me and asking me if

my fly tying setup was really necessary. My look as a response  must have conveyed that this was non negotiable item. Lol.

By the way I heard that Lestat was a tyer.

Mine's version of that is, with a proper pout, "Does EVERYTHING have to be a dead animal?" She's a vegan... "Yes" (and thank you, plastic baggies).

Lestat? Had to look that up. And now I'm gonna have to finally crack open that Anne Rice novel that's been waiting patiently on my shelf since the '90s. But first I'm gonna go tie some flies on my new situation.

@chugbug27, nice set up. The needlepoint chair is pretty cool. That's my "sensitive" side speaking. 

As to clothes, I think it was Rodney Dangerfield who said "the husband's closet never comes with the house."

👍

As for the bedroom setup...

Dropped this (glass bead)

16139374190825637389956361874207.thumb.jpg.e5667d5295dd6663bfb7e29ec56d137f.jpg

And while on the floor with my flashlight found these...

1613937570335436641680521826419.thumb.jpg.478d3b53b75a9dfaaf22e40f0ebf2d6c.jpg

🤪