Fly Tying
xterrabill

Show your bench

On 2/23/2021 at 1:17 PM, DFoster said:

Yep- because if she "falls in" I'll get a stern talking too (again). 

Well does she let you rub her bottom off and dry it for her? Enquiring minds just have to ask? the serious questions!

8 hours ago, Charlie1947 said:

Well does she let you rub her bottom off and dry it for her? Enquiring minds just have to ask? the serious questions!

Yes and I don't mind a bit because it's a really nice bottom. 🙂

5 hours ago, DFoster said:

Yes and I don't mind a bit because it's a really nice bottom. 🙂

So you are saying that when you go fishing you ALWAYS come back with a nice catch!?

Kim

Here is a photo from two years ago that covers 1/3rd or so of my workshop. Somehow, it has still grown over those two years. Organization is paramount with a beast like this. 
There have been a few funny moments along the way- losing ALL of my hare's masks for a year, only to find them when looking for my ostrich herl. 

Immediately to the right is metal slat wall, and to the right of that a pegboard and on the door is all of my flash- I'll grab a photo. 

To the left of this frame is a giant warehouse shelf that holds bigger tools (foot pedal dubbing brush machine, drying wheels, dubbing blenders, airbrush and compressor, plus excess/bulk materials, an acrylic thread dispenser, an acrylic fly bin, packing materials, etc. 
To the left of that is 3 more wood slatwalls and a fly tying bookshelf. 

I'll post more photos when the light is decent 

prime fly workshop.jpg

11 hours ago, primeflycompany said:

Organization is paramount with a beast like this. 
There have been a few funny moments along the way- losing ALL of my hare's masks for a year, only to find them when looking for my ostrich herl. 

Nice tying area Prime and I agree with you about organization.   While the "bomb went off" tying bench works for some my tying time is often limited and I hate to have to use it up looking for things. 

15 hours ago, primeflycompany said:

Here is a photo from two years ago that covers 1/3rd or so of my workshop. Somehow, it has still grown over those two years. Organization is paramount with a beast like this. 

Immediately to the right is metal slat wall, and to the right of that a pegboard and on the door is all of my flash- I'll grab a photo. 

To the left of this frame is a giant warehouse shelf that holds bigger tools (foot pedal dubbing brush machine, drying wheels, dubbing blenders, airbrush and compressor, plus excess/bulk materials, an acrylic thread dispenser, an acrylic fly bin, packing materials, etc. 
To the left of that is 3 more wood slatwalls and a fly tying bookshelf. 

I'll post more photos when the light is decent 

prime fly workshop.jpg

Don't you mean warehouse!

49 minutes ago, WWKimba said:

Don't you mean warehouse!

hahaha, yea kind of. I'll work on more pics today just to share a few things that might help others. 

But, all of that started with humble beginnings. This was my first tying bench and my favorite. Sometime in 2016

original fly tying bench.jpg

Here's the final version of my set up.  At least its final until I think of something else to improve it.

My wife found a 5' roll-top desk and a 3' horizontal file cabinet on a local barter site listed at $400 for the set.  It was a little dinged up but it was too ideal for what I wanted to pass on it. She claimed the file cabinet and I was happy to make that concession.

Been working on this for about two years, off and on.

It was designed as a computer desk so it had a large compartment for the chassis and other stuff.  I built pullout drawers for that space.  They are 18" x 24" x 3" so they hold a lot of long materials like flat-wing hackle and keeps it flat.  There are lots of drawers and spaces to organize materials.  My OCD was in its glory figuring out what goes where.

The tool and thread caddies are on lazy-susans so access is easy without moving stuff around.

I wanted a permanently mounted vise that could be removed without much fuss. The vise mount is a replacement keyless drill chuck held to the desk with a 1/4"-20 machine screw. Works perfectly and I have the same set up in my travel case so transferring is simple.

Trash drops from the tying area through a hole I routed in the desk top.  There is a drawer underneath for a keyboard.  I mounted a short plastic bin there to catch the cut offs. The frame just sits in the hole to keep beads and small parts from rolling in. 

Normally the desk is in the spare room/office but my daughter and future son-in-law are living with us while they save money to buy a house so it is in the dining room. I'm do anything for my kids but I won't give up fishing. Fortunately, the roll top keeps She Who Must Be Obeyed off my back about any mess.

A4Xmy2K.jpg

rDfIFaX.jpg

MSnfMfY.jpg

E2qrmeE.jpg

7bu6MIH.jpg

rlxincC.jpg

nWWG4U7.jpg

FliesbyNight,

Great find and EPIC editions to the dest.  Impressive drawers and additions to the cubbies in the top.

How long did it take to figure out and make the finger joints on the drawers?

Wait a cotton picker minute... Is that a drill chuck mounted to the desk to fit you vise?

Michael

@FliesbyNight Very nice bench- I'll having a custom desk made next year (I tried a small roll top, but, it's too restrictive for me) and having that garbage feature is really smart. I've been thinking of just making it circular hole so I can hook up a shop vac directly to it.