Fly Tying
xterrabill

Show your bench

Moving from the west coast to anywhere would be a complete culture shift, I would think. I know the ones that moved here from Cali. could not leave their ideals there.

I'm having a similar experience, moving from the West coast to the South. I've learned for instance that "Have a nice day" in southern actually means "Go f#@$ yourself." And the bigger the smile, the more it's truly meant.

https://www.louisianatravel.com/articles/how-speak-cajun

And over here in Mi'sipi

http://amp.southernliving.com/travel/southern-sayings?source=dam

Aheeeee!

IMG-5727.jpg

Hi everyone.

It's been forever since I posted anything here...been busy and finally retired last month! The local rivers are trembling in fear...at least in my mind.

Here's my bench and matching storage cabinet. Both were built by me out of cherry. The work surface folds up into the desk when not in use...making for a clean (and wife-pleasing) area.

attachicon.gif 1.JPG

attachicon.gif 2.JPG

attachicon.gif 3.JPG

Nice setup!

I've been wanting for quite some time to build a small "satellite" tying bench that I could keep upstairs (my main tying site, posted some pages back on this thread, is in my basement) and that would allow me to tie from my recliner while watching tv through the long Michigan winter. This is what I came up with. I still have things I want to add to it (mostly aesthetic), but once it became usable, I wanted to go ahead and try it out

.post-36073-0-89267200-1552702683_thumb.jpgpost-36073-0-32586100-1552702745_thumb.jpgpost-36073-0-29980600-1552702899_thumb.jpg

post-36073-0-76476600-1552702722_thumb.jpg

Very nice, Bryon. I like the bas-relief fish.

Thanks Mike -- one of the aesthetic touches I want to add is to fill the open area around the fish with colored epoxy in a nice blue that will set off both the dark and light wood. It remains to be seen if I'll get around to trying that before fishing gets started this year. :)

The transient life for me. Here today, gone later that day (or THE ADMIRAL brings the 16" guns to bear).

FYuix25.jpg

Charlie I like your setup--that looks like a nice cozy tying area. Question for you-- I see you have the Peak tying lamp, as I do, but I can't see how it's attached to your vise in that photo. Or is it attached right to the table?

Hi everyone.

It's been forever since I posted anything here...been busy and finally retired last month! The local rivers are trembling in fear...at least in my mind.

Here's my bench and matching storage cabinet. Both were built by me out of cherry. The work surface folds up into the desk when not in use...making for a clean (and wife-pleasing) area.

attachicon.gif 1.JPG

attachicon.gif 2.JPG

attachicon.gif 3.JPG

Nice setup!

Very nice! Great job on the woodworking, I really like the material cabinet!! Well done, thanks for sharing

The transient life for me. Here today, gone later that day (or THE ADMIRAL brings the 16" guns to bear).

Charlie I like your setup--that looks like a nice cozy tying area. Question for you-- I see you have the Peak tying lamp, as I do, but I can't see how it's attached to your vise in that photo. Or is it attached right to the table?

Thanks. THE ADMIRAL is pleased that it collapses and slides into the closet beside the front door. Happy wife - happy life. ;-)

I have a second 3/8" x 4" post in the rear left corner of the vice base. The lamp is clamped to that. I just ordered an Aventik tool caddy/holder and plan on adding another post to the front hole for that. I continue to be pleased with the Peak. This is the first "true" rotary vice I have owned and it sure makes tying most flies better and easier.

Here's a slightly different angle that shows it better.

9jNiIig.jpg

A few years ago I acquired an old desk that has local significance from a neighbor. It was built at the now defunct Paul Bunyan Furniture Company (building is now home to the Airline Brewing Company) not far from my house here in Amherst, Maine. All of their furniture was made from wood harvested in my area, which adds to the history. I finally got around to sanding it down, staining it, and lacquering it and it is now my new fly tying bench. While I am not the best at carpentry and related work, I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Not ruining something is always a good thing. 

20200727_125247.thumb.jpg.25962c3f4fb10e7bf781201167b1163c.jpg

20200727_125303.thumb.jpg.8e49e8d4c4a57e718e55b894ff38eb6e.jpg