Fly Tying
xterrabill

Show your bench

I used to have an entire room in my last house, but for where I live now, just a corner in our bedroom. I have an unfinished room over my garage that hopefully will become my tying room and office for my business eventually.

tyingdesk.jpg

13 hours ago, tidewaterfly said:

I used to have an entire room in my last house, but for where I live now, just a corner in our bedroom. I have an unfinished room over my garage that hopefully will become my tying room and office for my business eventually.

tyingdesk.jpg

There's nothing wrong with that space-

3 hours ago, DFoster said:

There's nothing wrong with that space-

Thank you! No, nothing wrong with it, it's a place to tie.  I can tie there, but my problem is easy access to the supplies I have. Most of it is in my garage, so I have to go & root thru containers to get what I need. My wife isn't real happy that I set up in there, so bringing more in there might get me divorced or worse! 😆 

I had tried to use a space in the garage, but it gets very hot in there in the warmer months so I moved the tying table to the bedroom. 

The room over the garage is plenty large enough, so will be great once I can make use of it. However, I have a lot of work to get to that point and our temps recently have been in the mid to upper 90's the last few weeks,  with heat indexes well over 100, so not much chance for me to get in that room to work until it cools down some. Looks like it will be my fall & winter project. 🙂

37 minutes ago, tidewaterfly said:

Thank you! No, nothing wrong with it, it's a place to tie.  I can tie there, but my problem is easy access to the supplies I have. Most of it is in my garage, so I have to go & root thru containers to get what I need. My wife isn't real happy that I set up in there, so bringing more in there might get me divorced or worse! 😆 

I had tried to use a space in the garage, but it gets very hot in there in the warmer months so I moved the tying table to the bedroom. 

The room over the garage is plenty large enough, so will be great once I can make use of it. However, I have a lot of work to get to that point and our temps recently have been in the mid to upper 90's the last few weeks,  with heat indexes well over 100, so not much chance for me to get in that room to work until it cools down some. Looks like it will be my fall & winter project. 🙂

I'm fortunate we're in our forever home. 4 bedrooms and the kids are married and on their own.   One of the bedrooms is now my wife's office and I have a wall.  There's a lot of natural light and it's got heat  (the basement alternative has poor light and a wood stove).  I don't have enough materials to justify an entire room though. The other 2 bedrooms are set up for our 6 grandchildren.  I'll post a more recent photo when I can.

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

I'm fortunate we're in our forever home. 4 bedrooms and the kids are married and on their own.   One of the bedrooms is now my wife's office and I have a wall.  There's a lot of natural light and it's got heat  (the basement alternative has poor light and a wood stove).  I don't have enough materials to justify an entire room though. The other 2 bedrooms are set up for our 6 grandchildren.  I'll post a more recent photo when I can.

My wife & I are in the same situation now. We relocated in 2015 from MD to SC. We had discussed moving down here when we retired, but she lost her job before we were really ready, so we somewhat got forced to make a life change a few years before we had planned. It's been a great move for us, and now I wish we could have done it years prior. She still works a part time job, but she works from home. We live near Lake Marion, and can see the lake from the front porch. It's very quiet & laid back here. 

Our kids are all grown & gone too and we were able to buy this house outright. The cost of living here is a lot less than it was in MD and the town is small.  I retired this year, and had only been working part time, 6 months of the year the past three. We only have 2 grand kids, boys,  (10 &12) and our spare room for now is occupied by my one son. He was living & going to school in Charleston, but has been dealing with a serious health problem, so we moved him here with us to help him with support and to lessen his financial burden. He's a Navy vet, and his benefits are taking care of a lot of his needs, so no burden on us other than some time, which we would have done anyway. We make sure he's been getting back & forth to his doctors & such. 

The grand kids have only visited us once, and stayed a few weeks. We have a fold out sofa bed, so accommodating them has not been any major problem. Boys can be made comfortable anyplace and they're at an age, that they're easy to keep happy. They live out in CA, so we don't see than a lot otherwise.  

I also make lures, so the extra space in my garage room will be welcome. I've been doing lure assembly too at my fly tying desk, and am looking forward to making a dedicated work space for that too. 

Fortunately, we haven't really had any bad winters here so far. It stays fairly mild in the winter, so heating my room shouldn't be a problem. Our first year here, I was cutting grass on New Years day. As I mentioned, cooling during the warmer months is a big issue, so the plan is to concentrate on dealing with that, then basic sheet rock, and some peg board will be what I want to do to take full advantage of the room. I have peg board on two walls in the garage that I use for other fishing tackle, so that will remain as is. I do have a plan, but I hopefully just have to get it all accomplished before I depart this world! 

9 minutes ago, tidewaterfly said:

My wife & I are in the same situation now. We relocated in 2015 from MD to SC. We had discussed moving down here when we retired, but she lost her job before we were really ready, so we somewhat got forced to make a life change a few years before we had planned. It's been a great move for us, and now I wish we could have done it years prior. She still works a part time job, but she works from home. We live near Lake Marion, and can see the lake from the front porch. It's very quiet & laid back here. 

Our kids are all grown & gone too and we were able to buy this house outright. The cost of living here is a lot less than it was in MD and the town is small.  I retired this year, and had only been working part time, 6 months of the year the past three. We only have 2 grand kids, boys,  (10 &12) and our spare room for now is occupied by my one son. He was living & going to school in Charleston, but has been dealing with a serious health problem, so we moved him here with us to help him with support and to lessen his financial burden. He's a Navy vet, and his benefits are taking care of a lot of his needs, so no burden on us other than some time, which we would have done anyway. We make sure he's been getting back & forth to his doctors & such. 

The grand kids have only visited us once, and stayed a few weeks. We have a fold out sofa bed, so accommodating them has not been any major problem. Boys can be made comfortable anyplace and they're at an age, that they're easy to keep happy. They live out in CA, so we don't see than a lot otherwise.  

I also make lures, so the extra space in my garage room will be welcome. I've been doing lure assembly too at my fly tying desk, and am looking forward to making a dedicated work space for that too. 

Fortunately, we haven't really had any bad winters here so far. It stays fairly mild in the winter, so heating my room shouldn't be a problem. Our first year here, I was cutting grass on New Years day. As I mentioned, cooling during the warmer months is a big issue, so the plan is to concentrate on dealing with that, then basic sheet rock, and some peg board will be what I want to do to take full advantage of the room. I have peg board on two walls in the garage that I use for other fishing tackle, so that will remain as is. I do have a plan, but I hopefully just have to get it all accomplished before I depart this world! 

Please thank your son for his service.
Kimo

Although I have dedicated shop space in the basement I find a dedicated space to be overrated. I have two adult children who haven't lived in the house in the last 5 or 6 years so I have two open "guest" rooms. I'm not a prolific tier so maybe that helps but I prefer to gather what I need and then take my portable tying desk to wherever I want to tie at. Sometimes the living room, sometimes the kitchen, sometimes the basement shop, sometimes the finished basement, sometimes the porch or sometimes the patio. I like choices. Perhaps you would like this freedom if given a chance but I'm thinking your more a prolific tier and this may not work for you. 

My garage shop is hot as well. I feel your pain. As I get older I want less and less to do with my shop in summer. I heat it in the winter but with no AC I just don't go out there in the summer. I've been thinking of putting one of those new dangled wall units in there but I never get past the thinking about it stage. Soon I will be spending my summers out west and winters down south so I probably won't ever get to it. 

My best “bench” is a old plank supported by a couple of logs by my local river! I won’t post a picture as it’s very quiet and peaceful and someone might share its location on social media! 
Baz

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 5:19 PM, tidewaterfly said:

Here's a recent photo of mine- I added a taller stem to the vise and the profile plate is fairly new.  I hunting for a nice flat file cabinet that won't require me to skip a mortgage payment. My current materials box which you can't see in the photo is maxed.  IMG_6202.thumb.JPG.eddfb59dbc901db4b81733e957851a24.JPG

3 hours ago, DFoster said:

Here's a recent photo of mine- I added a taller stem to the vise and the profile plate is fairly new.  I hunting for a nice flat file cabinet that won't require me to skip a mortgage payment. My current materials box which you can't see in the photo is maxed.  IMG_6202.thumb.JPG.eddfb59dbc901db4b81733e957851a24.JPG

Beautiful desk. 

On 7/28/2020 at 5:29 PM, Kimo said:

Please thank your son for his service.
Kimo

Thank you I will do that! 

Poopdeck, I have a tackle business, so need a dedicated space, and besides that, my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm for tying flies or making lures. She's not real happy with my use of our bedroom, so tying anyplace I choose around the house, would not be a good decision for me! 🙄

Landon, that's a really nice setup! I think I'm going to need a bench such as that for my lure making. 👍👍

DFoster wow, that is a beautiful desk!  I've gathered a few prints for my walls too, but have to get to that point and don't expect it to look as nice as what you have there. 😍

8 hours ago, tidewaterfly said:

DFoster wow, that is a beautiful desk!  I've gathered a few prints for my walls too, but have to get to that point and don't expect it to look as nice as what you have there. 😍

Tidewater the prints are from the old book Blacker's Art of Fly Making.  Available free on line here: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/35752/35752-h/35752-h.htm

I simply saved the images and printed them on the office lazer printer on some good quality paper.  I got the frames on sale at Michael's for $15.  I love old style book illustrations in general.  Here's an example of two of them.

i_034-big.thumb.jpg.750b068f3c6e71787dbae28c1c8fb404.jpg

i_027-big.thumb.jpg.8060d5764d4729181bff3c4314412a71.jpg

WOW, I just went through this thread again, hard to believe I started it on October 19, 2017, the day before my birthday so long ago and its still going strong.

So many great photo's, comments and idea's, so many nice folks, this is awesome.

I moved my stuff into my music room some time ago and need to update a photo of my area when I get the time.

37 minutes ago, xterrabill said:

WOW, I just went through this thread again, hard to believe I started it on October 19, 2017, the day before my birthday so long ago and its still going strong.

So many great photo's, comments and idea's, so many nice folks, this is awesome.

I moved my stuff into my music room some time ago and need to update a photo of my area when I get the time.

Please do Bill - I love bench photos too!