Fly Tying

EP style flies are staples in many saltwater fishermans boxes. And the Mullet style pattern is definitely an important fly to have when fishing in the gulf. Redfish, sea trout, and many other species love mullet. This is more a finger mullet pattern, being so small. You can tie it larger, but I find this 2.5" size is best.

Mullet tend to have darker colored heads vs the rest of their bodies. Their heads are also large and wide, so you need a wide profile head for a good imitation.
Also, most mullet tend to have silvery looking eyes, so I find a silver eye works best. However you could use red or any other color you want.
While this fly does take a long time to tie, it will last through many fish strikes. Its rather durable when tied correctly, and is really effective.

Here is a list of materials I used to tie this fly
Hook: Gamakatsu SC15 in size 1/0
Thread: Veevus Power Thread 140 in Brown
Fiber: Congo Hair in "Natural White", "Caddis Tan", and "Medium Brown"
Eyes: 3D stick on eyes
Eye Adhesive: Fletch Tite
Head Cement: Bone Dry UV Curing Resin made by Solarez

Not that it's necessary or would even increase strikes but you can strip a pair of saddle hackles and put black tail in first before the rest. I glued them together to straighten and stiffen theM. When you see mullet cruising in little schools their dark tails stand out...At least to me that is....I had some SF fibers "shrimp" that I mixed with the EP cuz I'm a lil flash crazy!

Second one down.

IMG_1005.jpg

Not that it's necessary or would even increase strikes but you can strip a saddle hackle and put black tail in first before the rest. When you see mullet cruising in little schools their dark tails stand out....At least to me that is.

Second one down.

Yes, you are correct you can do that.

These are a couple of mullets that I've tied up based on Bob Popovics "Siliclone" Rather than being tied with wool, like the original, these are tied with Polar Fiber Plus which could be spun and shaped like wool, Didn't absorb water like wool and could be treated with floatant. Caught several bluefish and stripers on them. The ones around here are usually 3 to 6 inches long with dark gray on top. The first two have a white bucktail and pearl flash tail, the third has a bucktail and pearl flash tail with white schapplen feathers to make it longer.

post-309-0-06015700-1508541879_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-33459600-1508541910_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-21579600-1508541942_thumb.jpg

These are a couple of mullets that I've tied up based on Bob Popovics "Siliclone" Rather than being tied with wool, like the original, these are tied with Polar Fiber Plus which could be spun and shaped like wool, Didn't absorb water like wool and could be treated with floatant. Caught several bluefish and stripers on them. The ones around here are usually 3 to 6 inches long with dark gray on top. The first two have a white bucktail and pearl flash tail, the third has a bucktail and pearl flash tail with white schapplen feathers to make it longer.

attachicon.gif012.JPG

attachicon.gif014.JPG

attachicon.gif017.JPG

Nice