Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Swamp Fly

4 wt Monocore fly line

I have a floating WF 4wt monocore fly line that at a guess is between 10-15 yrs old. I believe it is a RIO product. It is a stiff super slick line that does extremely well here in South Florida, especially fishing for exotic panfish in canals. As some of you know, these canals can get terribly hot and dirty. Having a line that does not wilt and is easy to clean (not textured) is a genuine boon. Despite it's very long life span, the line is deteriorating quickly now and I need to replace it. I'm not married to RIO products so I'm open to other MFGs, in fact not paying for marketing/brand is icing on any cake as far as I'm concerned. The main criteria other than WF4 wt floating are HOT weather tolerant, a texture that is easy to clean, and shootabity (the first two tend to augment that anyway). Any suggestions? Thanks.

My advice would be to look at any of the lines (by various manufacturers) out there that are marketed specifically as "tropical/saltwater" lines, although you probably won't have much luck finding one in a 4 wt. Most of those lines are for heavier rods, with the assumption being that most fishing in tropical climates is done in pursuit of larger species. Your best bet may be to contact some line manufacturers directly and see what they recommend.

Just as an aside, I was recently on here asking for recommendations for a hot-weather line to use in Florida in August, and several people who live and fish down there said they used regular old off-the-shelf WF floating lines and had no problems with them. Just a thought.

don,t most fly lines get softer in high heat and don,t wire guides love digging into softer lines especially when locked up to a nice fish? just a thought.

My advice would be to look at any of the lines (by various manufacturers) out there that are marketed specifically as "tropical/saltwater" lines, although you probably won't have much luck finding one in a 4 wt. Most of those lines are for heavier rods, with the assumption being that most fishing in tropical climates is done in pursuit of larger species. Your best bet may be to contact some line manufacturers directly and see what they recommend.

Just as an aside, I was recently on here asking for recommendations for a hot-weather line to use in Florida in August, and several people who live and fish down there said they used regular old off-the-shelf WF floating lines and had no problems with them. Just a thought.

That is exactly the problem, even finding a 6wt tropical line is tough enough as it is. I've used standard lines here often enough and will need to continue to do so. Regular lines work just fine of course, even down here. Let's face it we as fly fishers have never had it so good as far as the capability of our gear. That 4wt stiff mono core line is just head and shoulders above regular lines and I want to replace it with something close if I can. Those really stiff mono lines from 10-15 years ago were a real pain to straighten, but boy did they work well in the Florida heat once you did.

I tried contacting Rio but no response. Rather disappointing, I've spent a lot of money on their products in the past. Not so sure I'll be doing that anymore at lease not without a serious discount/closeout. Sure, I can be bribed in that fashion! LOL! Right now I'm pretty cranked with them though. A non reaction from customer service is a real serious turn off for me, even worse than clueless customer service. At least acknowledge my email.

don,t most fly lines get softer in high heat and don,t wire guides love digging into softer lines especially when locked up to a nice fish? just a thought.

Yes they do. Not so sure about loosing a fish because of that. I'm not chasing 100lb Tarpon with a 4wt anyway. Line management, shooting line and keeping the gunk off of a softer line is harder at least it is for me.

Thanks guys

Cortland 444 tropic all purpose comes in a 5 weight. I like overlining, so I'd be using at least a 5 on a 4 wt rod anyway, but maybe you're not interested in doing that. I've used that line in an 8 wt, and it was a nice line. It has a mono core and a stiffer tropical coating. Finding a tropical line in a 5 weight is tough, but there are several out there if you look. I can't remember ever seeing a 4 weight tropical line, though.

"I tried contacting Rio but no response...At least acknowledge my email."

I recommend that you call Rio and explain your situation.

Many companies have an email contact but they won't answer a query that way.

I've had good luck with them when I've called with questions - give it a try, let us know what happens.

The main criteria other than WF4 wt floating are HOT weather tolerant, a texture that is easy to clean, and shootabity (the first two tend to augment that anyway). Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm a miser ... most people on here know that. For fly lines, I tend to buy the $10.00 lines off E-Bay.

I fish Central Florida, and am routinely into water that is above 90 degrees. I don't have any expensive, specialty lines to compare with ... but here's my view on the cheap lines I use.

1) At around $10.00 a pop, I COULD change the line every season and fish with a new line for 5 or 6 years or more and still not pay as much as some of the more expensive lines.

2) I don't have to change the line every year. The cheap lines are smooth and seem to stay clean for a long time. Surface scum just doesn't stick to it very much. The lines don't deteriorate much either, and my lines sit in the sun all day while I am fishing. (On a boat, with 5 or 6 rods sitting in the boat with me) When they aren't on the boat, they spend the rest of their lives in a hot garage or a hot van.

3) As stated above, these lines have spent days in 120 to 140 degree van or 100+ degree garage. They don't soften in those temps. The cheap lines seem to be able to resist ANY temperature I've subjected them to.

4) Smooth, hard plastic lines. Nothing to keep them from sliding through the guides easily, so they shoot just fine for me.

So, in conclusion ... if you're looking for a replacement that is, " ... WF4 wt floating, HOT weather tolerant, easy to clean, and shootable ... ) then look no farther than E-bay and $10.00 lines.

This one is available for $7.15 free shipping if you buy it now.

https://www.ebay.com/i/222538694947?chn=ps&var=521384833716&dispItem=1

hi Swamp Fly..i got around my line problems by going to ceramic guides from butt to tip..what a difference in fish fighting. it,s so much smoother in line pay out when hooked up to a nice fish..no wire trying to dig into the line, any kind of line..but they are heavier and make the rod a little less crisper or slower which never bothered me, i mean it,s still better than bamboo which still catches a lot of fish..but i see a lot of respected rod builders using all Minama guides,so for my next build i,m going to try them but i still have to use ceramic on the first three guides because they contain the largest spacing and the most line sag occurs between them. just some things you may want to consider. just wondering, what,s your favorite swamp fly?..mosquito? lol. thanks.

I'll take a look at the 444 series.

I'll consider giving them a call, wee will see.

I've used "cheap" lines and I'll do so again I'm not a hater. I just really like what I have now and want to replace it with something really close.

Ben. I'm not really having heart burn over how my rods interact with softer lines, for me half of it is line management. I'm assuming you mean favorite line. For this particular application, well this one. ;) It has it's drawbacks that is for sure, like it needs lots of stretching and does not float very high, but I'm good with that here. I really like the way it feels in hand and that it doesn't wrap around the nearest object five times given that chance.

Thanks everyone.