Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

Tenkara is just for little fish...

Fisherboy, i see you make your own furled leaders for the tenkara rod..can you recommend a good video for doing this, thanks..or can anyone suggest a video..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs

http://www.tenkaraonthefly.net/2011/07/diy-tenkara-line-furling-update.html?m=1

I'm making a furled 12ft line tapered not a leader. I do make the leaders for my regilar fly rod.

thanks Fisherboy..i just wanted to get an idea about your tapered leaders. i,ve seen this method before for regular fly fishing not tenkara..right now my line is just 25# bright orange flyline backing which casts really well and is easy to see..for my bass bugging rods i made tapered leaders from 50# power pro and they really turn over big hair bugs..in fact i even made some from 80 power pro..if you care to make these go to google " fish tales all twisted up", for a good video..they wear like steel..thanks again.

Nice catches on your tenkara. I always like discussions on leaders but the distinction between a furled leader and a simple twisted leader has blurred over the years where everything is now called a furled leader. They are basically the same except a true furled leader has twice the twist in it. The method you linked to is simply a twisted leader and is only half of a furled leader. Yes I know I'm splitting hairs but it's late and I'm not real sleepy.

When your twisting like in the method shown the actual furl is allowed to escape out the line and its energy is not incorporated into the leader. The furl is the part where the twisted line wants to furl around itself in the opposite direction of the twist. The line passing through the coffee cups keeps the line separated preventing the line from furling around itself. The furl, or the reverse twist, is directed out the end of the line in the link. To furl a leader is to take the twisted line, double it up and allow it to furl around itself in the opposite direction of the twist. It wants to do this all on its own if you don't allow the energy of the furl to escape the line.

If you like the twisted line you will absolutely love a true furled leader which is made with a single continuous strand and can be tapered without a single knot. You can furl multiple strands if you like and you can furl a non tapered leader if you want. A true furled leader is far superior to a twisted knotted leader and it allows you to use thinner diameter mono. Personally I prefer thread based furled leaders over mono simply because they are more supple and they last forever. I have some furled leaders that are almost two years old.

Poopdeck, you are a true furler.lol. that,s why the makers of twisted leaders can make them so much easier and faster, they have eliminated the furling step which is more involved but like you say makes a better performing leader..

in the all twisted up video by william tedrick he uses 50# power pro braided line but you can use much thinner lines on the same set up..i don,t use a long board but two hooks screwed into the top of a door jam and bring two yarns up and around each hook and down to my twisting device which is a conair hair pigtailer to twist up each end of the yarn..then i unhook one strand and put it on the other hook and strand..release the twisting tool from my grip and let the furling start..furling automatically happens to form the leader which is about 4' long..then i put a shorb loop in each end.. tedrick also shows how to make this loop..furling is another word for pig tailing on itself.

furling is another word for pig tailing on itself.

Indeed it is and it can never be confused with twisting

there are flies with furled bodies..you can say a furled leader is a just a very long fly body both made the same way..lol.

At the 3:57 mark ... there's a guy demonstrating the ultimate tenkara rod. Pretty impressive !!!

Looks like his backcast could use some work, though. rolleyes.gif

Looks like his backcast could use some work, though. rolleyes.gif

LOL Yeah ... his whole fishing style is a bit ... hectic. And that lure he's got tied on ???

But definitely proves the rod will let you boat any trout, bass, pike, carp or whale you hook !!!

Catching a large catfish on Tenkara must be a hoot! When I lived in Scottsdale Arizona up until a year and a half ago there was a guy that fished the canals for carp with a large Tenkara rod. Never saw the guy but heard about him. Those carp get big and are hard to catch!

I got in to Tenkara this past summer. Bought two rods. One a bit dainty for wild brookie streams and a larger one for regular stream fishing. Although the "dainty" rod is delicate it handles fish well. It definitely took getting used to not pulling line in to land the fish though. I opt for hand-twisting my own leaders with high-viz fluorocarbon mono specially made for that use. It's "relatively" inexpensive (compared to buying a pre-made twisted flouro leader) and the leaders show no negligible wear after a summer of fishing.

It took me a few leaders to get the hang of it though. The hard part is keeping the two strands from coiling-up while twisting the leader with my fingers. I plan to furl some Pearsall's gossamer silk into a few leaders and treat them with mucilin to see how they cast. I use furled silk leaders I get from Zen Outfitters with my bamboo rods and silk line and they cast like a dream! Highly recommend Zen's silk leaders.

To keep the strands from twisting together, put something between them. I like to have one strand on one side of my lap, one on the other, with the strands hanging or resting on the floor, but separated with my legs.

catching a cat fish on fly would be great regardless of rod, I never have.