Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Prybis

Perdigon Hook Choice

What hook and bead size do people prefer when tying Perdigon flies? I have seen them tied on 90 degree jig hooks, 60 degree jig hooks, straight down eye, curved nymph hooks and more. Not sure what sizes hooks to use. I was thinking 12-18 but not sure the size bead for each. Let us know what your choices of hooks and beads are? Plus, what is your choice for tails.

I tied up a few for a section of river I fish that is fast and deep. I used what I had on hand, straight eye curved nymph hooks (TMC 2488H) in size 16 and 18, coupled with oversized tungsten beads. I used thread and tinsel bodies with coq de leon fiber tails.

My results were mixed. They do sink like rocks and if you use them in moderate or slow currents they often snag bottom, so maybe a jig hook would be more effective. They really are best in fast current, like they are designed for. They do catch fish, but I found a drop shot setup with standard flies to be more versatile and effective. I do have one river near me that they are perfect for, though, a very fast flowing river where external weights are not allowed, so I am keeping a few in my box .

I prefer to use the Hanak jig hooks for my Perdigon's and Coq de Leon for the tails. When I get to 18's and smaller, I'll change to a different hook because I haven't found a jig hook in those small sizes (with a large gap) that holds larger fish. Here's a tutorial I made on the Perdigon...the key is keep it thin.

Tim