Fly Tying
petegray

Shackleford Banks and Cape Lookout...

NC Albies look just like Albies... only BIGGER...!

fullsizeoutput_2051_zpswixtwfwz.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_206c_zpssypbu6qt.jpeg
14.5 lbs and BIGGER Water Buffalos are ontheway...!
fullsizeoutput_2059_zpsvy4a4l37.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2046_zpssar9n59e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2057_zpsg2m4a5uw.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_205e_zpsve0ruzak.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1ff0_zpsqrmgqjsy.jpeg
Bueller...? Bueller...? Anyone...?

Is the hair on the fly reverse tied?

Thank's... There's a lot to like about this Eastern Carolina fishery... :)

I'm NOT a big fan of the reverse tie method but prefer to let the thread do it's magic...

There's a Bill's Body Braid foundation that enhances a controlled flair of the buck tail with increased thread tension...

and then the judicious application of Light Cured Resin seals the deal...

fullsizeoutput_1ff4_zpsmnln10rn.jpeg

by the way...

rolling in the phracas behind the second dragger, there were at least a dozen 5' to 8' sharks...

gott'a put the heat on or there can be a dramatic casualty... life or death in the mix... ;)

Albies are so beautiful.

Nice fly pattern, I like how it is sparse while it maintains a wide profile.

Great pics! This trawlers look like they leave a buffet line behind them. How far offshore do you have to go for the albies?

Albies chase down and eat bait for a living...

they are speedsters and go where the food is...

being bait sucks... strength in numbers probably helps, but it still sucks...

These T-tailed phunny phish can be seen in the surf or out off shore in deep water... [almost anywhere]

I've caught then right up on the beach and in 60+ feet of water 10 miles off the beach...

When the fight goes "vertical" it turns into an arm aching rod bending tug-of-war... DON'T high-stick!

Sometimes it's like playing "whack-a-mole" when they pop up here and there, or not at all...

Their basic design seem to be right out Kelly Johnson's Skunk Works @ Lockheed where the SR-71 was hatched...

Catch and Release...

they are simply horrible to eat [iMHO] and are way to valuable a resource to catch only once...

The norm is 5-10# but later in the season, the Water Buffalo version will tip the scale to 15-25#... YIKES!

Exponentially larger / stronger and they will be in charge early on and put a hurting on you and your gear... but that's the idea... 'sore in the morning is a good thing, I think...

and this goes on from early October until the Christmas decorations come down...

Life is good here in Eastern Carolina... and better if you know someone with a boat... wink.png

T-Tail3.jpg

T-Tail1.jpg

T-Tail4.jpg

and Ken FlatRock... maybe next year we can get you out onthewater and all salty...?!

fullsizeoutput_177b_zpsldsokxmh.png

It's funny, up north people call them false albacore and treat them like a game fish, down here in Florida they're called bonita (aka bonies or boneheads) and often viewed as a trash fish and a nuisance. Personally, I love them, they have saved many a slow day for me. They get real thick on our east coast in the summer but tend to stay in the blue water. Down by the palm beaches where the gulf stream is a mile out they regularly get close to the beach. They are a blast to get off the pier, but can cause chaos and tangles galore when its crowded. I agree about the meat, they are bloody as can be but make great cut bait for snapper and grouper. I have only eaten one and it was actually pretty tasty but my buddy made it in a cajun stew with tons of spices and seasons so the taste of the meat was pretty well masked. Never did get one on a fly but its gotta be a blast to tangle with them, even the little guys.

'sore in the morning is a good thing, I think...

You guys and your pain. dry.png

I'm good without it. I am glad so many of you like salt water fishing ... keeps you out of my way in fresh water.biggrin.png

It's funny, up north people call them false albacore and treat them like a game fish, down here in Florida they're called bonita (aka bonies or boneheads) and often viewed as a trash fish and a nuisance.

Never understood why either, but so true...

I guess that is what happens when you have lots of sailfish around.

keeps you out of my way in fresh water.biggrin.png

while you're catching what might be considered BAIT...?! ;)