Fly Tying
flytire

HMH TVR tying vise.....

How many more times must I say I am barrytheguide and bazzer69 for reasons already stated. I honestly regret posting anything about the TRV. I paid full price for one and I was frankly very disappointed with the quality although the basic design is sound. I take the criticism of me as flaming when I have done nothing wrong. If the mods want to delete any of my posts than please go ahead. Im surprised that there havent been posts by users of the TRV I for one would be welcome to read them. I dont believe I ever mentioned I could buy a lot of materials for $500, do I hear fake news?

Once again, I only offered a opinion , yours might differ.

Barry, I will ask the Admin to delete the account that you want, while requesting that you take ownership of managing your id(s); pencil and paper solve that problem, take some notes if you won't remember. And,

1. You had plenty of support here, including me, although I expressed it poorly and apologized;

2. You were only one posting news, FAKE, only you would know! If the shoe fits...

Ken

No one else need state anthing more about the manner or mode of expression; let us please discuss the merits of the product or I will ask Steel to lock this thread. He may lock it irrespective but I assure ALL, this IS the last warning. Govern yourselves accordingly.

Hmmmm, for almost $700 U.S. plus border taxes I could buy enough tying material to last the rest of my life. I think I'll keep tying on my cheap vise

. It is a nice looking tool though, for vise junkies with fat wallets.Lol

Les[/quote

$700 ]to last you the rest of your life? I wish, I’m at least $2k in the hole and every pattern I seem to tie requires something I don’t have

Not exactly "fake news" ... Bazzer/Barry. But it was my mistake. Instead of seeing an actual quote box, I got the above string of computer gibberish. It was Lesg who stated the materials post ... and you responded. I just read it as one statement. blink.png My apologies.

As for responses from someone else who's used the vise ... Noah did state his opinion of it after using it. Few others have paid the price to tie on one, as far as I can tell.

As FRn said, we stray off course at times. Bazzer, don't take it personal, when other's protect their favorite brands. Brand loyalty has floated many companies through bad mistakes ... take Harley-Davidson for example. I am sure HMH will not "go under" because of this vise. But I'm hoping they aren't depending on it for Christmas bonuses, either.

hmm....what started out a a simple notice of a new product coming to the fly tying public has......

i would hope that all/any positive or negative reviews are made aware or sent to hmh so they might be able to analyze the reviews and revise the product and make positive changes.

product reviews whether they are positive or negative should be welcomed as long as the comments are civil and that posters respect each other

i gotta have it! smile.png some folks like to be first at buying something new and then after using and evaluating the product decice it just didnt fit their needs and return the product for a refund. nothing wrong with that. i think most of us have returned a product we didnt like or was less than advertised

i'll wait to see if bears den has them in stock to try it out.

i do not see the relevancy of why members are so concerned on what user name somebody uses here or on other forums. i use 2 different user names on different forums. flytire (here) started in 2004 and norm frechette (other forums) started a few years ago. who cares!

im not sure you can use multiple user names with one email address. i think different user names require different email addresses?

okay. ill shut up now

LOL Well said ... or ... yeah ... flytire.

I don't think anyone is "concerned" about different names, on one site or many.

But it does get confusing when a member has responded using multiple names ... as is the case here.

Bazzer has cleared that up, so it's a moot point at this time.

And ... as you typed in ... I, too, will shut up now.

It always amazes how worked up people can get with total strangers over the internet about something that has little importance in the world. You are all grown men so act like it. I don't have time to babysit with all the stuff I have going on here at the moment.

This thread will stay open because reviews can be helpful to anyone looking to buy something that costs this much. If anyone can not control themselves and starts posting stupid remarks then they will get the boot. I don't have time to play games right now and I'll just handle things in a way that make it easiest for me.

Barry if you would like one or more of your accounts deleted so that you can just have just the one then PM me which ones you would like taken care of. I can't physically remove them but I can make them unusable and just leave the one for you.

LOL Well said ... or ... yeah ... flytire.

I don't think anyone is "concerned" about different names, on one site or many.

But it does get confusing when a member has responded using multiple names ... as is the case here.

Bazzer has cleared that up, so it's a moot point at this time.

And ... as you typed in ... I, too, will shut up now.

Me three on shutting up. I do not plan on posting further on this thread or others about this vice. I will be reading all posts on this product for two reasons. I want to learn about the product. And, I agreed to help Steel.

Mike and I walk a tightrope sometimes. To be a contibuting member sometimes overlaps with helping Steel. In case of conflict I will always error on the side of helping Steel... because that is what I promised.

I again apologize for any feathers ruffled or mistakes in my comments. Boom... Out

Barry, you can add me to the list of those thanking you for your follow-up posts here and elsewhere. While the concept of the TRV surfaced much interest, others may share those same concerns as to the execution. HMH continues to build a highly regarded standard vise, but I'm left skeptical the current design and construction of this rotary would be right for me at any price.

Barry, you can add me to the list of those thanking you for your follow-up posts here and elsewhere. While the concept of the TRV surfaced much interest, others may share those same concerns as to the execution. HMH continues to build a highly regarded standard vise, but I'm left skeptical the current design and construction of this rotary would be right for me at any price.

Bugsy, I have no brand loyalty at all. Over the years Ive tied in many different vises. As a full time guide who gets home after a hard days rowing a drift boat, having dinner and then having to tie flies do the next day because all the ones you tied previously dont work I want a vise thats going to save me a bit of time. I thought the HMH with its LAW type jaws might do th job. Of course it might, but frankly the quality was cp. So a good try but a waste of time for me. Plus since Im almost completely retired, speed is not so important. My Renzetti Master does a great job and I have numerous accessories for it. So Im staying for that.

I hope someone at HMH looks at the vise I returned and fixes the quality control problems

Tight Lines

Bazzer

Hi AK Skim,

Yes I have one and think its a solid effort that will get better with time. Please let me know any specific questions you have an I will answer.

Mike

Hi AK Skim,

Yes I have one and think its a solid effort that will get better with time. Please let me know any specific questions you have an I will answer.

Mike

That's pretty ambiguous. Can you be more specific as to the failings and strengths of the vise? How can it get better is a way of saying it has problems with the current design. Please elaborate. Are you saying one could spend his money and get a better vise?

Hi AK Skim,

Mike

Thanks Mike.

Best that I hold off until I am able to put my hands on one to determine what I will do.

I have high hopes.

Anyone know if someone will have one at the Fly Fishing Show in Edison, NJ this January?

I would even drive up to the show in Marlborough, MA to get a close up look at it.

Hi Everyone,

Yes, Jon the owner of HMH said they will be at the Edison show and they will have the TRV there. I’ll give you a little background on myself since I don’t post a ton but check this site several times a week if not almost everyday. I have by tying for 10 years and for about 7 of those years have been tying on a LAW vise. Also along the way I have become an avid vise collector so over the years I have accumulated quite a collection. I personally think all the vises made today are great. Regal, Renzetti, HMH, Stonfo, peak, nor vise etc. all make great products and it really comes down to what you like personally and how much you want to spend.

Getting back to the TRV I think it’s a great vise that you can buy right now and be very happy. I am comparing it to my LAW so I think their are some small thing they can do to make it even better. If you didn’t have a LAW you might not even think about these things. First, the TRV is cast tool steel and it is not polished smooth so their is a slight grain to it and you can see some imperfections. It’s not rough or anything like that but just not super polished. The LAW is machined tool steel then hand filed and polished. The TRV holds hooks very well and their no no slippage. One change I have written HMH to make is that their are 3 hook grooves in the TRV and I think they really only need two and they should just be milled a little wider. The stem, chassis & brass knob that turns the vise is very high quality and overall it’s a very pretty looking vise. I have the brass base and for anyone that owns an HMH brass base it’s beautiful and the right amount of weight. Another critique is the wheel that opens and closes the jaw should have smoother or rounded edges. I mean it doesn’t hurt your hand when you lay it on top of the wheel but I think they should be smoothed out a bit.

Right now this is an initial offering of just 100 vises. It’s not even up on the website yet. Just like all vise manufacturers do I know HMH will continue to improve this vise and their others over time but right now this is the closest thing you can get to a LAW vise without spending $2000 or more. Even though it has a few small flaws nothing really takes away in the performance front it holds hooks really well and it one ups the LAW because you can adjust for perfect centerline which you can’t on the LAW. The LAW does have better fit and finish when it comes to the jaws and have perfect hook gap placement. If anyone has specific questions let me know and I’ll answer.

Merry Christmas,

Mike