Fly Tying
Kimo

December flies from the Vise

Holiday themed married wing.

Next to what eide is posting this feels like a refrigerator drawing.

Noah,

Have you checked on the Classical forums? There are many there who can give you advice on married wings. As was mentioned here yesterday, marrying wings is an art that also is filled with marrying knowledge and tricks of the trade.

There may even be a pinned thread. I cant remember and havent checked, but it would be a great place to check, ask, and gain more knowledge.

The first link below isn't functioning, BUT .... In the search function on the Classical Salmon Forum, type in marrying wings, hit Search, and you get multiple replies. Some might help. The second link works, at least for me. Cant figure out the problem on the first.

Here is a search on marrying wings. There are a variety of thread; possibly some might help:

[http://www.classicflytying.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

And another on tutorials you could sort though:http://www.classicflytying.com/index.php?showforum=12

You may have already checked these, but I didnt know and thought I would post them just in case.

Or, start a thread and ask for help! :)

Ray

Ray, thanks for the suggestions. I've trolled a lot of sites, constantly re-read Eric Austin's tutorial, watch the ease of Davie McPhail zipping the slips together. My comment was more about the high art displayed by accomplished tyers such as Eide. I'm putting a list of questions together for a thread as you suggested, and will post once I have exhausted my stubbornness in trying it myself.

this is for a salmon fly but the technique is the same

nail down the technique first before tying onyo a hook

do not use feather slips with broken/cut tips

Ethical Egg

CFB had their 13th Anniversary Party today.

20% off of hooks and materials.

80% off of all Outcast items. (Picked up a stripping net for $6)BAM!!!

Scored some great orange peacock herl

that I normally wouldn't purchase but couldn't

help myself.

Fortunate to have a couple of great fly tying fly shops in the area.

Kimo

Charlie's rocks. I tried making it up there today. Angler's All is pretty cool. They had a party Thursday evening, right after I scored a couple of hats at Orvis Park Meadows for trying a new Helios 3. We're very fortunate to have such great shops close by (Orchard and Havana in my intersection).Is the body that new orange peacock herl? Trimmed on top and resined?

Thanks!

It is Peacock and Ostrich Herl.

I use an electric eraser to remove the fuzz and to expose the stem and then coat with UV resin.

I was also at Angler's on Thursday.

Kimo

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. The wings at Anglers were pretty good.

After watching Rich Strolis tying flies at the International Fly Tying Symposium, I decided to give his pattern a try. I also thought changing out the fish mask for a mini sculpin helmet would also make for a nice change. I will let the smallmouth bass decide in the spring if I keep these in my fly box.

post-18737-0-61510400-1512936544_thumb.jpeg

post-18737-0-45375700-1512936558_thumb.jpeg

Hey folks, haven't posted in a while so thought I'd share what I've been working on lately. As a Swede i don't fish with terrestrials that much since we don't have the massive hoppers and cicadas that you get in the US or NZ. However, my parents now live in Kenya and I've done a bit of troutfishing there and let me tell you, the African bugs are massive. Found this grasshopper in the living room that dwarfed a size 6 slumpbuster for example...

zNWhfKv.jpg

So I decided to try my hand at large semi-realistic terrestrials with only natural materials, and so far I've tied spiders, grasshoppers, and a funky looking cicada:

p3M7NEk.jpg

kK9FLVq.jpg

3NxZXhb.jpg

SAoVaq9.jpg

Also is there any way to resize the pictures so they aren't so big? Tried resizing in the BBCode but the forum wouldn't allow it...

After watching Rich Strolis tying flies at the International Fly Tying Symposium, I decided to give his pattern a try. I also thought changing out the fish mask for a mini sculpin helmet would also make for a nice change. I will let the smallmouth bass decide in the spring if I keep these in my fly box.

Prybis,

Would you happen to have a recipe for these? Small mouth in my neck of the woods would devour these.

@bulb,

That hopper is phenomenal. Mouse, too (for that matter, the nymphs in that fly box are no slouches).

Prybis,

Would you happen to have a recipe for these? Small mouth in my neck of the woods would devour these.

Here is a link to his video. https://vimeo.com/190497167

Great work you all. Beats me why some shots are side ways. I picked up a copy of Flyfishing and Tying Journal at the library. There was a "tip" about tying parachutes with the hook vertical so the post is horizontal. I tried and it seems like a cool idea.

post-61480-0-32456800-1513014632_thumb.jpg

post-61480-0-97691000-1513014666_thumb.jpg