Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Show us your vessel

Utyer -- Go Team NuCanoe!! I love the color of yours, and I must say you keep the hull looking much newer and shinier than I do mine. smile.png Is that the Frontier 10 or 12?

Below are a couple of pics of my Frontier 12, which I love almost as much as fishing itself. Total game-changer. Sometimes on cold winter nights, I go out to the garage and just talk to her... smile.png

Poopdeck, in answer to your question (I know you asked Utyer but, since I have the same boat, I thought I'd chime in), a NuCanoe (brand name; see http://www.nucanoe.com; no affiliation) is probably best described as a canoe/kayak hybrid. You sit on top like in most kayaks, but is has a broader beam (41") and is thus more stable, more like a canoe. Unlike most kayaks, it doesn't a lot of molding done to the deck to dictate where the seat, gear storage etc. has to go. The hull is wide-open almost bow-to-stern; there is a hatch in the bow for dry storage and inner hull access. There are tracks running most of the length of the hull on either side so you can mount your seat and all the kayaking doodads you can think of wherever you want them using sliding T-bolts. The stern is squared off and is rigid enough to accept any trolling motor or a small (up to 2.5hp) outboard. Their stability for fishing while standing is unmatched. I can stand and fish from anywhere on the deck, I can stand on the gunwales, on my cooler, the seat, you name it, just about thoughtlessly. I'm a big fan, if you can't tell. :)

post-36073-0-22973800-1512586323_thumb.jpg

post-36073-0-88342300-1512586324_thumb.jpg

Don't sugar coat it, Bryon ... how DO you feel about your boat?

I've got a 14 foot Monarch, aluminum jon boat with a 15 Hp Honda on the back.

Although I don't "... go out to the garage and just talk to her...", I do love my boat, too.

For those who asked, my boat is a 12 foot Nucanoe Frontier. Purchased in 2013.

This is my Nucanoe...Frontier 12

This is when I first got it. It now has two fly rod holders,a transom mount trolling motor & depth/fish finder.

post-56139-0-77447800-1512617161_thumb.jpeg

Usually I'm in dad's 165 bass tracker w/ 40hp merc. When I'm out on the creek, putting around close to home, or soon to be out crappie fishing at night I take my starcraft starcaster 1600ds with my little 15 4 stroke hanging on the back. One day I'll have a small center console and a rear deck installed once I get a bigger motor. But for now it is nice and roomy with the side console removed, and much more stable than the bass tracker too.

Oh ya, I also have a 75 whaler 13', that needs some cosmetic work. Hopefully it'll be sold soon though. The other couple of 12' johns I have, got me on the water for years with a trolling motor and battery before I upgraded.

post-59266-0-03261500-1512621100_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-43116400-1512621128_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-60156500-1512621785_thumb.jpg

Shoebop, love the Stealthcraft! Great Michigan-made boat. smile.png That is very close to the type of rig I hope to acquire in the next 5-ish years. I love the idea of being able to run up the Manistee or the Muskegon under power and drift back to my car without the need to hassle with shuttling cars or paying for a car spot.

Being retired from the worlds finest canoe club, I present my fleet. A 1952 Grumman sport boat (inherited) , Hobie Outback, and my canoes. Had to uncover for the pictures, back to cold weather storage, but not time for the tip up's yet.

post-19662-0-10511600-1512680280_thumb.jpgpost-19662-0-57832500-1512680301_thumb.jpgpost-19662-0-02346300-1512680346_thumb.jpg

Some very nice vessels being posted. some of these pictures make me want to add a few to my yard. Love the 52 Grumman, the drift boat, the nucanoe..... come to think of it I like them all. I think that 52 Grumman is my favorite though. If I saw tgat on the side of the road with a for sale sign on it, it would be on my roof. There's just something about age that money can't buy.

I agree Poopdeck I like all of the vessels would like to try the nucanoe will have wait for one one to pop up used on fleabay or crudlist. Tried my best as a kid to sink that Grumman and very happy now that I failed.

Shoebop, love the Stealthcraft! Great Michigan-made boat. smile.png That is very close to the type of rig I hope to acquire in the next 5-ish years. I love the idea of being able to run up the Manistee or the Muskegon under power and drift back to my car without the need to hassle with shuttling cars or paying for a car spot.

Yep! That photo was taken at a landing on the lower Manistee below Tippy dam. I just wish he'd get a bigger motor for that thing.but paying for it is the big question.

eastern fly, how long do the pontoons last? do you store it partially inflated? would you buy one again? always looked like it would be great for traveling.

CP, I am still using pontoon craft that was new in 1993. Stored partially inflated, mostly in unheated garage. Always stored out of the sun as much as possible. Traveled well, but never did backpack it. Could have Broke down easily enough to fit in a large Kelty, with oars and inflator, rod and flies. Snap to carry in truck or on sedan with Yakima racks. Had to be careful when hauling it up in elevation in the truck or sedan; down in elevation on the sedan. Used jet fins more than oars in still water. It ran whitewater very well on freestone parts of North Platte River but I never pushed my luck during early run-off. Not for everybody but fine for me.