Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Show us your vessel

This is my Nucanoe...Frontier 12

This is when I first got it. It now has two fly rod holders,a transom mount trolling motor & depth/fish finder.

This is now my new old Nucanoe.

Redneck BBQ mishap....the Home Owners insurance is in my girlfriends name and she wouldn’t file a

claim...too pissed at me(this happened back in Nov.)

Well she changed her mind last week and I’m doing the paper now for my claim..adjuster came out and said it looks all legit..just need some documentation from the Fire Dept. and I’m good to go.

Learned a lot from the 1st one ..this one gets decked out totally different.

1st thing #1 Pontoons...and leases on anything you care about.

This thing is real stable but don’t think you can’t flip it...lost about $600-$700

worth of stuff...that happening again!

A5_F74_B27_4_A3_A_4842_ACB8_0_ACEE9_C15_

369_EE0_B0_FA1_D_40_F1_A145_8911_B780_EC

Mike west, you could get renters insurance for future mishaps, some of them cover theft from your car even if you aren't home when it happens.

Poopdeck...its was till this happened. My BBQs are legendary.

😎

Vincent

Ill probably take your advice... I thought this was covered under our homeowners insurance agent said fine then he didnt show up I called him back and its not covered.

I was all excited and pumped up I was getting a $2100 check and now its not happening its like losing it all over again

Here's what I've been fishing out of for the last 32 years. I bought this used in 1986. It's a 1983 model and still runs great.

post-58-0-28744800-1528916470_thumb.jpg

32 years is impressive. shows with a little care an outboard will last forever. I'm not so sure the new four strokes will have that kind of staying power. My motor is a 1992 that runs strong as hell. Performance wise the newer motors aren't in the same league with it. Unfortunately my fuel economy ain't in the same league as the newer motors. I've been toying with the idea of a repower but the 13k price tag has me wavering. It's hard to spend that kind of money when I have no issues with the motor other then the amount of gas it drinks.

Anyone have a jon boat they fish from?

I'm trying to gather enough information to make a compelling argument (to myself and my wife) as to why I need a boat.

I guess I don't really NEED a boat, but I could get into so many more places. I have a paddle board that I use in saltwater to get out to the sandbars and fish, but this jon would be just for freshwater. Fishing on the SUP is a talent I'm still trying to perfect...

I'm thinking a 1236, maybe a 1436. 3-4hp with additional trolling motor on bow. Ponds around here have low HP restrictions, anywhere from 3-6hp. It would kind of be set it up like those jon boats people turn into bass boat with a casting deck and maybe a few deck hatches.

Wrinkles, I've owned and fished out of many different types of boats over the last 45 years. First I would like to say, forget about a 12 foot boat. I would get a kayak before a 12' boat. For a pond boat I would go with a 14' footer without question.

I would also say forget installing raisied casting decks and anything else. I've fished from boats where the owner installed his own big boat features into a small boat and I can tell you it 100% sucks. It's a small boat, treat it as such, be proud of it, and it will fish far better without the big boat dumb stuff. If you want raised decks and pedestal seats then buy a bigger boat. Otherwise enjoy fishing from a small boat. One of the things I like about a plain old Jon boat is how you can toss it around at will. Start adding decks and rod lockers and whatnot and that ability diminishes.

Embrace the simplicity of an open small Jon boat. Less is more and far more enjoyable when in a small boat. Just my humble opinion.

I agree with Poopdeck, you have to resist loading out a small boat, I made to mistake with my kayak and I looked like 12' tuna boat and worst things happen with tangles and everything fouling when you cast or move around. My Grumman is 15'3" and simple to load and unload as it is really a heavy canoe with a 6 horse motor. Jon boats and small v's are ideal but would not want one under 14', very easy to maintain and store. The larger you go the more money the hole in the water consumes. Second the enjoyment from small boats.

For a pond boat I would go with a 14' footer without question.

I would also say forget installing raisied casting decks and anything else. I've fished from boats where the owner installed his own big boat features into a small boat and I can tell you it 100% sucks.

Thanks for the info Poopdeck. I wasn't going to go to crazy with additions, just thought that one deck between the bow and middle seat and some storage hatches below would be nice. But maybe I won't now that you've warned me. If I did get it, I would take it out a few times bare bones to get a feel for what I needed or wanted.

Do you think you could get around well enough in a 14' with just a single electric trolling motor? I'm thinking just for those small 3hp limited ponds I might want to get in.

Any brand loyalists from Tracker, Lowe, G3 or Alumacraft?

My father-in-law once had a 14ft V hull. Had a 5 horse Johnson and a 36lb thrust Minkota trolling motor.

Only used the gas motor to save the battery. The trolling motor was faster.

My father-in-law once had a 14ft V hull. Had a 5 horse Johnson and a 36lb thrust Minkota trolling motor.

Only used the gas motor to save the battery. The trolling motor was faster.

Good to know! I was thinking that might be the case. He had the trolling motor mounted on the transom? I'd do it on the bow but I'm sure it'd go just the same with a little better steering.