Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
brooktrout308

Color Blue Dun ?

Wasn't there an Iron Blue Dun at sometime? Don't know if that is what is now known as Rusty Dun, or some obscure term/color??

Thanks, Bob H

That is the name of a mayfly imitation, tied in shades from a light brown to almost black, I haven't seen one in a fly shop for years, If I recall correctly the fly was to imitate a "iron blue dun" stage of certain mayflies. Perhaps more common in New England. as that is where I encountered the pattern.

I think a Blue Quill might imitate the same insect, but I was never much of a hatch matcher.

Dun as a word is also used to describe a life stage of mayflies, sub imago, so the book said; I believe that is fresh hatched? .

Wasn't there an Iron Blue Dun at sometime? Don't know if that is what is now known as Rusty Dun, or some obscure term/color??

Thanks, Bob H

"Iron blue dun" is the name of two species of mayfly, Baetis niger and Baetis digitatus found in the British isles. The smokey, almost black, gray color hackle used to tie imitations of them is appropriately also called "iron blue dun", but I believe the insects were named before the color.