Fly Tying
Bimini15

About musical taste?

Country, blues, southern rock, Americana, some bluegrass. Love Willie, Mellencamp, Petty. Also, like the Beetles. Pretty much anything but rap and death metal. I like to be able to decipher the lyrics.

He's got a lot of really good music. I made a CD of about 20 of his songs that never leaves the car CD player on fishing trips. Something about his sound and rivers/outdoors just seems to go hand & hand IMO.

"...do not want to hijack the Song of the day thread..."

No worries on that one Bim, Mike West beat you to it.... and I mean that in the most sincere and flattering way. He really dished out some old, new, and novel tunes. I am hoping that, at the end of the year when it should return to ShoeBop original rule of 1 song per day that Mike West will start his own thread with his music and patterns; Maybe NAMED something with Bugs, Blues, Brews, (Beers. Moonshine, Coffee) Ok, I will stop discussing Mike like he is not here.

"...Do you find that your taste in music was forged in your teenage years and has not changed much ever since?..."

Not really, associate it more with events and good times: Dances, Concerts, unwrapping parties when friend got a new LP,etc.

My Grandfather played the piano so top songs of 1930-1940-1950s were heard often; my Mom played piano too and later a mean acoustic guitar, sister also was very good on guitar before her science career took off. My dad and I fished and hunted gamebirds , listening to two kinds of music- Country and Western!

" Do you find that the music of your youth is sort of comfort music?..."

Yes

When I was finally able to listen to a radio of my own, around 1963 I heard the beginnings of rock and roll, then later the in the mid-60s through high school I tried to tune into KOMA, a powerful AM station in Oklahoma City that played the hits of the day, but never bought much music of my own until after college years and CD's supplanted LPs, although I remember borrowing my Mother's 8-track tapes of Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Doors, and that Woodstock era of muscians. Also, Wrecking my Sister's Cat Steven's LP and a house party she was having when no supervisors were there; further details will not be offerred.

Went to a Chicago concert with my future trophy bride in 1971, still love that brass sound! Give us some Earth, Wind & Fire and we will be dancing still. If I had to pick one genre to exclusion it would be Rock from 1970 to about 1985. I have about 4000 tunes to listen via i-Tunes so I won't be picking one genre for quite some time. All in all, very comforting...

Edit- Had I read Kudu's post first I could have +1ed his review. I do have one rap I like a lot however, FloRida's "My House."

I'm all over the place with my music. Drives my friend crazy when she's riding in the car with me. She likes newer music and she's introduced me to some new stuff that I like, but she still plays CDs in her car. Me, I have an IPod set on shuffle and 7,300 songs to shuffle through. I grew up in the 50's on rock and roll, Philly style while my parents played Big Band music in the background. Spent the early 60's in the coffee house run by the local Episcopal church, listening to folk music and the Beach Boys on the other side. Ignored the Beatles, till later. Got caught up in the psychedelic rock of the 60's. Spent over 4 years in NW Tennessee listening to bluegrass, old time country and southern rock. After grad school came back to Philly spent summers riding with my buddies in their restored 1930's and 40's cars cruising down the shore listening to Big Band music before hitting the disco bars. I got back into folk music, bluegrass, Western Swing, Celtic music, blues and jazz. So you never know what you're going to hear when you ride with me. Won't find any rap, maybe a little hip hop, no opera, a bit of classical. I love a good instrumental. Bring on the Allman Brothers and Mountain Jam, John Coltrane's My Favorite Things, the Ventures, Earl Scruggs, Vassar Clements, Asleep at the Wheel. Good guitar rifts, Joe Bomamassa is one of my favorite's these days. Lots of good music out there old and new.

"...do not want to hijack the Song of the day thread..."

No worries on that one Bim, Mike West beat you to it.... and I mean that in the most sincere and flattering way. He really dished out some old, new, and novel tunes. I am hoping that, at the end of the year when it should return to ShoeBop original rule of 1 song per day that Mike West will start his own thread with his music and patterns; Maybe NAMED something with Bugs, Blues, Brews, (Beers. Moonshine, Coffee) Ok, I will stop discussing Mike like he is not here.

"...Do you find that your taste in music was forged in your teenage years and has not changed much ever since?..."

Not really, associate it more with events and good times: Dances, Concerts, unwrapping parties when friend got a new LP,etc.

My Grandfather played the piano so top songs of 1930-1940-1950s were heard often; my Mom played piano too and later a mean acoustic guitar, sister also was very good on guitar before her science career took off. My dad and I fished and hunted gamebirds , listening to two kinds of music- Country and Western!

" Do you find that the music of your youth is sort of comfort music?

..."

Yes

When I was finally able to listen to a radio of my own, around 1963 I heard the beginnings of rock and roll, then later the in the mid-60s through high school I tried to tune into KOMA, a powerful AM station in Oklahoma City that played the hits of the day, but never bought much music of my own until after college years and CD's supplanted LPs, although I remember borrowing my Mother's 8-track tapes of Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Doors, and that Woodstock era of muscians. Also, Wrecking my Sister's Cat Steven's LP and a house party she was having when no supervisors were there; further details will not be offerred.

Went to a Chicago concert with my future trophy bride in 1971, still love that brass sound! Give us some Earth, Wind & Fire and we will be dancing still. If I had to pick one genre to exclusion it would be Rock from 1970 to about 1985. I have about 4000 tunes to listen via i-Tunes so I won't be picking one genre for quite some time. All in all, very comforting...

Edit- Had I read Kudu's post first I could have +1ed his review. I do have one rap I like a lot however, FloRida's "My House."

Mike West maybe get bass in the title too. You know, the big Fish, not the big Fiddle;)

At about the age of five or six I had a guitar shoved in my face by my dad....He played from the time he woke up till the time he went to bed. He was exceptionally good, six string and 12 string acoustic...Classically trained as a child and then played a lot of Jose Feliciano,

Joan Baez, Peter Paul and Mary etc I had to take guitar lessons every night after school and also learn how to read music. I absolutely hated it. Then the Beatles and the Stones came out and I wanted to play guitar like them.

My Dad was having no part of that and wouldnt teach me anything about rock n roll

And I quote him ,those guys arent even musicians they only know four cords and its the devils music.

So basically I took guitar lessons and learned to read music from about the age of 6-10 and quit.

One of my biggest regrets in life is not sucking it up and learning how to play from my Dad.

I have always been into rock and roll since the late 60s then somewhere around in the early 70s I discovered the blues and thats all she wrote.

Im with the poster thst said He didnt like the big hair band era of the 80s

Best rock band since Led Zeppelin is Tool!

I did play my Dad some David Gilmour later on in life and he really liked that... he said that guy can play

Oh yeah I also was in choir at church and my Godmother who was actually like my second mother played the piano and I was around that all my life also.

I really have a huge appreciation for all forms of music but mostly listen to classic rock and blues.

FRN... One of my talents is smoking and barbecuing meat. I lived without an oven for over 25 years (long story)

So I learned to cook everything on the grill/smoker and I do all the cooking in my family. Plus a very good friend of mine use to compete in barbecue cook offs and I hung around with him for about eight years doing it. I learned a ton from him.

I have big get-togethers at my house all the time and have BBQs

The guests get rocked out to the blues all day and they tell me that its some of the best barbecue they ever had and the music kicked butt too.

Ive been told I should open a restaurant called Mikes barbecue and blues

At about the age of five or six I had a guitar shoved in my face by my dad....He played from the time he woke up till the time he went to bed. He was exceptionally good, six string and 12 string acoustic...Classically trained as a child and then played a lot of Jose Feliciano,

Joan Baez, Peter Paul and Mary etc I had to take guitar lessons every night after school and also learn how to read music. I absolutely hated it. Then the Beatles and the Stones came out and I wanted to play guitar like them.

My Dad was having no part of that and wouldnt teach me anything about rock n roll

And I quote him ,those guys arent even musicians they only know four cords and its the devils music.

So basically I took guitar lessons and learned to read music from about the age of 6-10 and quit.

One of my biggest regrets in life is not sucking it up and learning how to play from my Dad.

I have always been into rock and roll since the late 60s then somewhere around in the early 70s I discovered the blues and thats all she wrote.

Im with the poster thst said He didnt like the big hair band era of the 80s

Best rock band since Led Zeppelin is Tool!

I did play my Dad some David Gilmour later on in life and he really liked that... he said that guy can play

Oh yeah I also was in choir at church and my Godmother who was actually like my second mother played the piano and I was around that all my life also.

I really have a huge appreciation for all forms of music but mostly listen to classic rock and blues.

FRN... One of my talents is smoking and barbecuing meat. I lived without an oven for over 25 years (long story)

So I learned to cook everything on the grill/smoker and I do all the cooking in my family. Plus a very good friend of mine use to compete in barbecue cook offs and I hung around with him for about eight years doing it. I learned a ton from him.

I have big get-togethers at my house all the time and have BBQs

The guests get rocked out to the blues all day and they tell me that its some of the best barbecue they ever had and the music kicked butt too.

Ive been told I should open a restaurant called Mikes barbecue and blues

Perfect, sounds like another great b word, should you wish to run with a new thread.. Just make sure some of your great ties, poppers etc., get posted. Good music for many tying stations in those tunes posted in ShoezBop's topic

Barbeque and Blues. Sounds like heaven on a biscuit.

Yes it does. When I seen that one of the first things that popped into my head was the Cracker Barrel billboards I have been seeing this summer. "Biscuits are spoons you can eat"

Yes Blues, Barbeque and a couple of big fluffy biscuits to soak up all that left over goodness on the plate.

Mine has been all over the place, from Aerosmith, REO, and Van Halen in the 70's to ALL the bands of the 80's. Then It was Giovanni and Enya in the early 90's until I started bartending in the late 90's then it went to really heavy metal and dance music. Now it is everything from Disturbed to Bach and Motzart and most stuff in between. No rap or country though.

Steve I have to second Einaudi's stuff, I have a Pandora station with his name on it and it is on most of the time. Right now it is my Sinatra station on Pandora.

​ I grew up between a Acadian style of folk music on my fathers side and my mother thinking Doris Day was modern hip music. All my siblings and my parents all played instruments and sang so I escaped by fishing and getting out early. I couldn't hold a tune in a basket, have two left feet(can't dance) but do enjoy listening to most music except RAP and heavy metal as I do not think that loud noise or yelling obscenities qualifies as music ( funny my mother didn't think yea yea yea qualified as musical lyrics) I like bluegrass, folk music, rock music up to the early - mid 70's and a lot of the older stuff. Judy Garland- Over the Rainbow may be one of my favorites ,along with Alvin Lee from Ten Years After, but find most of the artists from today uninteresting. But that is coming from a middle aged tone deaf unsocial man that prefers campfires, a pot of coffee and owls hooting for nightlife.

The obscenity thing has come up a few times and I agree.

I can enjoy almost everything, rap included, until they start dropping obscenities.

I can tolerate some foul language, but if it feels unnecessary and just for shock value, it puts me off.

It’s another example of lyrics ruining perfectly good music.

I agree with you also. there is good use of obscenities on rare occasion,

just one or two properly places words for humor, shock or description has excellent value in poetry, lyric and the written word.

otherwise its just using a screwdriver as a hammer....that job just aint bein done.

the right tool for the job.

"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible", Frank Zappa

smile.png

edit.....

as for shock value, I meant like in proper placement and being unexpected.

I wont post the link. but if you google "joke from movie silkwood"

you will see my meaning of unexpected shock value.

(warning, one obscenity on clip)