Fly Tying

This is not the pattern I sent. I had to get fancier with the ones sent in but this design relates to the Flu-Flu that is the spring staple up north. I lost a bet (not real big) that a buddy could outfish me and a bucket of minnows with his bare white Flu-Flu with a white head and pink eye. He did and I quit buying minnows except for night fishing after that.

DSCF3031 (2).JPG

DSCF3032 (2).JPG

The first one is from those feathers too small to use way up on the neck. Never could get them to make a neat fly until it popped into my head to try them in the hair stacker. I'll be darned if it didn't work. The second is Ostrich Herl.

Below is the fly I actually sent with Ostrich, chenille, holo ribbing and soft hackle collar and fluorescent thread color.

DSC03050 (2).JPG

Thanks for the pics, Vicrider, and I've been meaning to report that Vicrider's flies arrived a few days ago. I'm looking forward to trying these out. It would be awesome to find an artificial that would catch as many fish as live minnows. How do you fish it, Vic? Cast and retrieve, or under a bobber or what?

Thanks

BB

Yes and Yes. Depends on the situation. When working pockets and bays where hitting bottom means lost jig I'll use an indicator...okay, a bobber. When out in more open water with scattered instead of schooled fish I'll cast and retrieve slowly, more lifting rod tip slowly and winding down. If you get a good strong hit it's usually a bass, if it feels like you just picked up a weed it's a crappie. One thing I try to do when fishing below a bobber is to use a stick float and try to adjust with a split shot if necessary so the float just barely tips down with the weight. This is because crappie tend to feed up and slowly in spring and sometimes the bobber with just go from perpendicular to lay flat on the water with no other movement. Reel in that crappie.

Vicente's flies are here and they are another great looking set that I'm sure will get a lot of use. Thanks Vicente for some great looking jigs.

Take care

BB

Let's do this. OK crappies are not that far away from grouping up in the warmer northern bays. For crappies it's first food, then sex, For me it's first food (fried crappie) then a nap.

Cphubert's and Stabgnid's jigs arrived day and both set were awesome. Great work, guys and thanks for all the extras. They are much appreciated. Also, my set is completed and ready to go.

BB

Did mine ever make it? I sent them over a week ago so they should be there by now

Agn54, your set and BassBugn's set both arrived yesterday and they are both great looking jigs. I'm sure both sets are going to see a lot of action. Thanks for participating in the swap.

Take care

BB