Fly Tying
flyrod04

E- Store fly tying materials

Hey folks!

I am toying with the idea of adding tying materials to my Website. I was going to start with 10-12 of my favorite patterns and all the materials needed to tie them. I am thinking i could package the materials as a recipe for the pattern and affiliate it with a you tube channel on how to tie them. I already have the green light on the materials, I have the space to support storing them, and the time to put together the orders.

So my question to the masses, is another online store to buy materials worth while or is there too much competition? And what would be something to separate myself from other websites?

I plan on having synthetics, flash, hooks, beads, and dubbings.

www.oldoakmaine.com

Price ... that's what everyone online is looking for.

We go to a "7-11" because it's convenient. We KNOW we're going to pay more, but we do it anyway, just to avoid the walk through the grocery store.

Most, if not all, are shopping online for the convenience, but don't want to pay "convenience store" prices. If you can get to the masses with your kits, and you're prices are low enough, you might get a following and sell some.

But if you talk to the wrong crowd (some on here fit this description), they hate the idea of kits and steer people away from them.

There's a pretty low overhead cost for online stores, (which is why there's millions of them), so if it doesn't fly (pun intended), you aren't out too much.

Good luck

I would think the .com flyfishing sites have to do a tremendous amount of volume to make a profit. They're already competitively priced. I don't see how you can compete with that.

Breaking into an already flooded and established business model will not be easy and will take capital, storage facility, and risk but it's certainly doable. The youtube age has fly tying covered tip to toe with many well known shops doing exactly what you propose. There's no half assing it if you want a piece of the action. Price, selection, and first rate customer service will be required. Like GL said, competing against established well stocked companies will not be possible unless you go into it with proper funding, inventory, infrastructure, and processes is the only way. I hate ordering things and then being told it's on backorder. I also want to order everything I need and perhaps things I don't need at the same time. A store with only a few offerings ain't gonna cut it. Establish the business first than support it through YouTube. I don't believe one can compete by trying to establish a YouTube channel first and the business second.

There already are a lot of beginner packages, and also at least a few sites that sell packs of materials to make 10 of this or 25 of that. If you can do it better, cheaper, and with faster delivery, I don't see why it wouldn't work for you. But realize that the market may not be so big. I read today somewhere that the entire fly fishing industry in the US amounts to $750 million annual revenues. That includes flies, gear, everything, every company. In an interview with Whiting I read once that the entire hackle industry is only 5 or so million in annual revenues - every hackle company, before costs. So how much is out there in that niche you're talking about? Can't be more than a few hundred thousand a year, including all the beginner kits, I would think. But I could be wrong. Here's my advice (finally)... Try it and see what happens. Can't catch any fish without putting your line in the water.

Nice looking site. IMO, since you're primarily a guide, if you're offering unique fly patterns that you use, there may be a market. But if you're offering the same patterns everyone else does, it will be a lot harder to compete. Videos are good, but only if you set yourself apart from what's already out there.

As chugbug27 has said, relatively, it's a small market to begin with & you're customer base will be even smaller. But, who knows, maybe it will take off & do well!

I wish you success!

It's a competitive space, but that doesn't mean you can't make it work. Do you need to make money at it, or just a little extra revenue? The answer to that question will have an impact on how you move forward.

I don't know what the margins are but when you're selling a pack of dubbing for $2.50 it takes a whole lot of dubbing to make a living. That means a lot of product needs to be stocked, which means a lot of overhead, which means you gotta move the product, which means you gotta get some advertising somehow so people choose you over someone else.

If you're looking to supplement your guide service, go for it. You have the site so you just need to add ecommerce capability. You'll never know until you try. But don't try to beat the Hook & Hackle and J. Stockards at their game. Find something they aren't doing and fill that need.

Thanks guys! Appreciate all the input!!!

I think I found the market I am going g to Target, again not looking to do this full time, but hey if I make a few bucks, and better yet, some new friends then I would say I am successful!

Again thank you and I'll post up the new site with the materials when I am established!