Fly Tying

The San Juan River is fishable year round. I have caught many fish while its snowing out. The river is a tail water, so it does not freeze up, and the temperatures stay relatively the same all year round. The winter is one of my favorite seasons to fish at the Juan because the river isnt as pressured, and the larger fish come out. The lake also turns over usually in late December and the river becomes slightly off color. For that reason, you can fish larger nymphs and even do really well on streamers. No more fishing the really tiny midge patterns you are used to fishing in the spring and summer. I find that you can get away with size 20-22 midge patterns, 18-20 red annelid patterns and some smaller bunny leeches and other streamers as well. In fact, I really like to fish a streamer under an indicator and drop a red annelid behind it. Also, you want to fish a bit more flashy this time of year.

Is Texas Hole ever not crowded? Looks like a stellar day. You have me jonseing to get down there. Thanks

Is Texas Hole ever not crowded? Looks like a stellar day. You have me jonseing to get down there. Thanks

Yeah, I have been down there before with only seeing one person all day, but again usually thats when the weather is very very off. Snow, sleet, and rain usually pushes out most of the regulars. But this day was more crowded than im used too in the winter. Thanks man, it was a fun day for sure!