Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Danville not marking colors on thread spools?

I just ordered some Danville spooled Antron and some Danville Flymaster thread, specifying "olive" for both; I received the "olive" Antron, but "brown" thread. So I looked at all of my existing Danville thread spools, and NONE of them have the color marked on the spool either!

Is this normal for Danville products, or do I have an anomaly? And if it is normal, how does one keep track of the colors, other than marking the spools somehow?

SD

post-56493-0-11314100-1516853956_thumb.jpg

That is normal. Danville doesnt indicate color on the label, at least none that Ive bought over 35 yrs.

Believe it or not, that is Olive #60 in your picture. Its a great, neutral color. More like a tan-olive-brown, though, and not what you expected.

Below is Olive #60 at the lower left and Light Olive #61 at lower right. For a medium-bright olive, you might like the latter. Dk Brown #73 is above for comparison.

post-3898-0-87349500-1516856840_thumb.jpeg

That is normal. Danville doesnt indicate color on the label, at least none that Ive bought over 35 yrs.

I've been using Danville since the early 80's and they've never identified the color on the label; it's not a bug, it's a feature. Still love the stuff, though.

Regards,

Scott

I've long bought my Danville threads (either 3/0 monocord or flat waxed nylon) by the box, 12 spools at a time. The boxes are always marked with the color number but the spools have always come un-marked as far as color goes (at least since I've been using them -started in the mid-seventies). I guess they've never found the need.... In today's world with hyper competitive marketplaces - my guess is that you either change or get run over. Are any other thread makers marking their spools?

I'm looking at my UTC spools, and they're all marked with the color and size on the end.

Well, there's a paper sticker on there. If that fell off, then there'd be no definition.

Are any other thread makers marking their spools?

yes they are

some by color

some by number

I'm looking at my UTC spools, and they're all marked with the color and size on the end.

Well, there's a paper sticker on there. If that fell off, then there'd be no definition.

mikechell, The UTC threads have a red end cap on the 140 denier and a yellow endcap on the 70 denier. Or vice versa. As to the color don't lose the paper

Hope Danville ups their game - more than one maker that I relied on for years has fallen by the wayside when new competition came along - if they didn't pull up their socks and get competitive (Penn reels a great example - they're now made overseas after Daiwa and Shimano just ran rings around those old classic Penn designs...).

i wouldnt think that the color of the thread is that hard to determine without putting it on the spool sticker (unless youre color blind then its helpful)

its not like tying threads comes in the 1,867 pantone colors

giphy.gif

I'm actually perfectly happy with Danville the way they are... but I've seen too many outfits disappear over the years to be complacent. Back when I started rod-building, for instance, we had both Gudebrod and Holland threads for rod-wrapping. Each had its place... the Gudebrod for the tremendous color range - and always just the same colors, then Holland for commercial wrappers, a superior product that came in 4oz. spools (if memory serves...). Both outfits are gone now - Holland, long ago - Gudebrod just a year or two ago.

What either of them could have done to flourish and prosper I can't tell you - but in today's world customers aren't nearly as loyal as they once were and any advantage you lose might just come back to bite you...

As one very knowledgable guy told me some years ago... "Bobby, we can make a small fortune in the tackle business... first we'll start with a large fortune..."

its not like tying threads comes in the 1,867 pantone colors

I'm pretty sure between Veevus, Semperfli, UTC, MFC, Danville, silk thread, Sulky thread, UNI, etc. that number isn't too far off. ;-)

I have bought very few threads that had paper markers on the spool end; those paper things last until use only. I'm just fine with looking at a material and deciding if it is a suitable color, The only time it bugged me was when an unfamiliar pattern called for some specific color by number and most of those numbers are either not available at my store or no longer made. So substitution was called for at any rate.

Shades are always subjective anyway.

I love Danville's colors, but their olive is not the best olive. I use either Uni-thread or Veevus from my BWO's. Uni-Thread has the color on the label, which helps when you are looking though a neatly stacked box of thread. Most of the time, though, I just look for the color I want.